Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old April 25th, 2012, 06:09 PM

Thumbs up Vista desktop cannot link to Virgin Hub

My partner recently got the Virgin superhub update. I can easily connect wirelessly to my laptop and a smart phone. Her main computer is a seven year old running Vista Home using 32 bit.

The installation technician set up the whole system, but after he left she found that the desktop could not connect to the internet.

It has been connected using the ethernet cable, and in my journey round the set up procedure I am sure it indicated that the computer does not have the necessary board for wireless connection.

My first query is that when checking for connection, the system says it is connected to "Network 5"which is then not connected to the internet.
Does anyone know what network 5 is? I cannot change it, so cannot delete it? The virgin helpdesk ( joke) has no idea.

It is just that the desktop is not talking to the hub. I've double checked the cables and connections. I've powered down and restarted everything.
When looking at "available networks " network 5 is not displayed,yet on another page it tells me it is connected to it. Network 5 does not come up on available networks.

I've spent over an hour with virgin help desk and then their digital help team without success. If I search on google many people seem to have problems with the wirelss connection, but I am struggling with the cable one.
Any responses please consider you are talking to a neanderthal non techie so any "assumptions" cannot be made.(i.e take me from the power switch onwards! )

Many thanks in advance.
Old April 27th, 2012, 12:54 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
"Network 5" is not listed in the list of available networks because that list is for wireless networks only, and Network 5 is not wireless.

Network 5 is just a name that Windows has given to that particular connection simply because there are four other (now probably redundant) connections still registered in the Windows Registry on that computer.

Most desktop computers do not have wireless capability but you can add it easily with a PCI wireless card. That may be the easiest fix, or try a new ethernet cable.
Old April 27th, 2012, 08:53 PM

OK Pip22 thanks for that. The ethernet cable is brand new but I will try using another, many thanks
Old April 28th, 2012, 06:46 PM

further to my last, no luck with ethernet cable.I see in the network sharing centre that i have connection to network 5 but no link from there to Internet.I've tried the DNS setting advised by many but no luck,I just can't make any sense out of it.
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:00 AM

problem was sorted out by using wireless network card on non responsive computer