Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old November 8th, 2011, 11:58 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Explorer stopped working

I have a E-Machine using Vista
Lately when i go to do something as soon as I right click and the menu drops down and I click on a task like copy, paste etc the window gets a white haze over it and I get a window pop up that says explorer has stopped working and is closing. It happens most when I trying to do things on my external drive and my extra internal drive but happens sometimes even on my C drive. I've run all the diagnostic software I have and they all say they did not detect any problems. Yet it's happening more and more often.

Does anyone know why this is happening or have any suggestions for me. I'm using Norton 360 and have ran all those scans and I'm not infected.

Thank you
kuzzz
Old November 9th, 2011, 01:18 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
It may be a problem with a Context Menu Handler kuzzz. Download and run the ShellExView utility from here (rightclick on it and choose "Run as Administrator").

To group all Context Menu handlers together, just click on Type underneath the Menu items. Try disabling the non-Microsoft items listed under Type -> Context Menu only (one at a time and then try rightclicking to see if you can identify if one is causing the problem).
Old November 9th, 2011, 01:19 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Try the solutions on this page.

None of them will hurt anything and one (or more) might fix it.
Old November 9th, 2011, 07:39 AM
CTH Subscriber

marie since I don't use internet explorer or any bluetooth devices would it be safe to just disable those in the list?
Old November 9th, 2011, 07:42 AM
CTH Subscriber

thank you Miz I will try what they suggest there also. Your help is much appreciated.
Old November 9th, 2011, 07:01 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzzz View Post
marie since I don't use internet explorer or any bluetooth devices would it be safe to just disable those in the list?
What list are you referring to kuzzz? If you are talking about the list generated by the ShellExView utility, it wont be a Microsoft shell extension causing the problem and the utility is only intended for troubleshooting issues such as yours.