Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Phones & Tablets

Notices

Phones & Tablets Problem solving for Android, iOS, Windows Phone etc.

Topic Tools
Old March 10th, 2024, 02:00 AM

Wi-fi card upgrade

I've recently switched to a cheaper Internet Service Provider, one of the reasons being that I would get three times the speed. Instead, my speed has gone down, and now I can't even access my bank on my mobile phone when I'm in the house. I phoned the ISP, and they told me that the Wi-Fi card in my PC was only 2.4 ghz, whereas it should be 5 ghz. I can't understand this, because accessing the app on my phone shouldn't be affected by the Wi-Fi card that's in my PC, I wouldn't have thought? Can anyone advise on this please?
Old March 10th, 2024, 02:39 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
if you cannot access your bank using your phone or your pc, then it is not the card in the pc. There is something else going on. It sounds like a router issue. Are you using your own or using one from your service provider?

In the meantime, you should be able to access your bank on your phone by disabling wifi on it. If for some reason you are still unable to access the bank with wifi disable on your phone, you will need to contact the bank. Maybe there is some sort of online block for your account.
Old March 10th, 2024, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
if you cannot access your bank using your phone or your pc, then it is not the card in the pc. There is something else going on. It sounds like a router issue. Are you using your own or using one from your service provider?

In the meantime, you should be able to access your bank on your phone by disabling wifi on it. If for some reason you are still unable to access the bank with wifi disable on your phone, you will need to contact the bank. Maybe there is some sort of online block for your account.
Thank you for that. I'm using a router that was installed by the new ISP. But with my old ISP the router was in the back room, right next to my PC, and it was connected to it by an Ethernet cable, whereas the new router is fixed to the wall in my front room and therefore has no Ethernet connection and hence is relying on WiFi.

After speaking to the people at my bank a few minutes ago, I now find I am able to log on to my bank on my PC by generating a security code using my mobile, but I'm not able to actually log on on to my bank solely by using the mobile, which I was able to do with my previous ISP. This is how it is whether or not I have WiFi switched on or off on my mobile. But this puzzles me as well, because I thought that your mobile had to be connected by WiFi, otherwise how could it access the internet through the router? So I was puzzled when you said that I should be able to access my bank through my phone by switching my WiFi off. But I can and I'm a bit baffled by that!

Btw, I've just done a speed test and it showed 6.3 Mbps download and 34.5 upload speed, whereas my contract with the new provider is for 150 Mbps!
Old June 10th, 2024, 09:18 AM

You're right, the phone app shouldn't be affected by your PC's Wi-Fi card. It sounds like the ISP might be mistaken.

Here's what you can do:

Test internet speed directly: Use a website like Speedtest on your phone while connected to Wi-Fi. This will confirm if the speed increase is there.

Check phone signal: If the speed test shows low speeds, try using the bank app with your phone data turned on. If it works smoothly, the issue might be with your home Wi-Fi.

Restart router: Sometimes a simple reboot can fix glitches.

Contact ISP again: If the speed test shows low speeds and restarting doesn't help, explain to the ISP that your phone isn't working properly either. They might need to troubleshoot your internet connection further.
Old June 10th, 2024, 02:51 PM

Sorted now thanks. My phone's using a 5G connection to the router. Cheers.