Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old April 27th, 2016, 07:51 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
No Audio on YouTube

I have a Windows 7 PC. I can't play any YouTube videos and get sound, using either Crome or IE. I can go to other websites like cnn.com and play and hear videos just fine. Likewise I get system sounds like startup/shutdown. So the speakers are working.

I have seen numerous posts about this, with some people claiming the problem was "solved", but none of those have worked for me. I don't know if YouTube or Windows 7 is to blame.

When I open the volume meter, there are 3 separate displays. For sounds that work, the meter is the first one and the bar is green going up and down with the output. For the YouTube window, there is a meter with the browser ID at the top. The green bar is also going up and down with the sound coming in, but Windows must be trying to use a different speaker rather than the default, which is the only one I have, because no sound is heard.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old April 27th, 2016, 09:08 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

In the browser window with a YouTube video playing, hover the cursor over the video itself.

Various icons will appear, one of them being the standard speaker icon with a slider.

Make sure that's not muted or set too low to hear the sound.
Old April 28th, 2016, 07:35 PM

Nothing shows up by moving the cursor over the video. There is no sound icon or sound bar anywhere on the YouTube display.
Old April 28th, 2016, 07:54 PM

I've used IE (several versions), Chrome, Firefox and now Cyberfox and with all of them a bar appears at the bottom of a video both when it first starts playing and then when I hover the cursor over the running video.

On that bar is a progress meter and below that icons to stop and start the video, jump to the next video, adjust the volume, the play time display, turn closed caption on and off, settings and two icons to change the size of the display.

If none of that appears, I don't know what to suggest but someone else may have an idea.
Old April 28th, 2016, 08:10 PM

I know this is a Windows 7 forum, but I have to ask - are you using Windows 7? What service pack?

And if you open the volume meter, where is the YouTube video playing? I have a meter under Web Pages heading and the volume bar shows green but the little tab at the top is not highlighted. For websites that play sound OK, the meter that shows up is under Device, Speakers, not Web Pages, and the tab is highlighted.
Old April 28th, 2016, 09:35 PM

I'm using Windows 10.

Since your computer's sound works everywhere except YouTube, it has to be a problem with the browser or with the YouTube volume setting at the bottom of the actual video, not with settings on your computer.

I have no idea why all the control icons don't appear when you put the mouse cursor in the middle of the frame of a running video on YouTube. They all appear for me using all three of the browsers I have.