Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old June 25th, 2007, 12:41 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
If you like knowing what's coming next without actually clicking on a link, there are a few extensions for that purpose:

The first I remember of this genre is Google Preview which enables thumbnails on google search pages.

Then came Cooliris Previews which produces a pop-up screen where you can go forward and back (and other things) with only hovering over a link and never leaving your page.

Recently released is Interclue for Firefox which is a similar tool to Cooliris but appears to have more functions.

All that info and never having to leave the original link!
Old June 26th, 2007, 12:01 AM

if it hasnt been posted already, google "Stumble Upon"- it is a button that takes you to a random page suggested by another member. very entertaining.
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:57 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Speed Dial.
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:28 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
5 Firefox Extensions to Die for ;-)

Web-developer toolbar Get it Here!!!
The web developer toolbar for Firefox is bar far the most useful Firefox extension that I have come across. I use it countless times every day, in the office and at home. It provides a wealth of powerful features that every “power” user and web developer will find instantly usable. The CSS editor is incredibly useful, especially if you are not very familiar with CSS, as it allows the user to see the changes reflected in real time in the browser. The whole package is worthwhile simply because of the CSS editor.

FireBug Get it Here!!!
The FireBug website states “Firebug integrates with Firefox to put a wealth of web development tools at your fingertips while you browse. You can edit, debug, and monitor CSS, HTML, and JavaScript live in any web page.” Personally I find FireBug invaluable for finding all the subtle nuances between the browsers. FireBug allows the user to “inspect” the properties of every single entity on a page, which is perfect when trying to figure out why IE insists on moving an object 40px to the left, no matter what you try to do.

FireFTP Get it Here!!!
While a plethora of FTP clients available for free, I find FireFTP very easy to use. Furthermore, having a FTP client that integrates into the browser helps keep my desktop uncluttered while I’m working. It is very easy to install onto any computer that already has Firefox, providing an instant and easy to use FTP client anytime you need it.

IE Tabs Get it Here!!!
This plug-in does exactly as its name suggests. Basically, it embeds IE inside a tab of Firefox, allowing all the advantages of IE(ahem if there is any;-p) within the confines of Firefox. This is particularly useful to web developers, or anyone trying to reach the Microsoft windows update page(not sure if M$ changed this, but for years you could only download windows updates with IE and thus SUN files an anti-rust suite along with most of Europe).

Delicious Bookmarks Get it Here!!!
This may seem like one of the least useful plug-ins on the list, but I find that it very useful. Mainly, I use delicious bookmarks to keep a online version of my favorite sites, allowing for that list to be accessed from any internet capable computer. But Delicious can be taken a step further, I share my bookmarks with the people I work with. If I find an interesting article concerning design, I can save it and later, the design team can mull over it at their convenience.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 02:36 AM

Couldn't live without Flash Block & No Squint!
Old March 9th, 2008, 03:57 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
I started using foxmark a month or so ago and found I cannot live without it anymore. see this

all of my computers now have the exact same bookmarks.

Quote:
If you use Firefox on more than one computer, you'll want Foxmarks. Install Foxmarks on each computer, and it will work silently in the background to keep your bookmarks synchronized. You can also log in to my.foxmarks.com to manage your bookmarks from any computer.
quote stolen from firefox's webside. see above link
Old March 9th, 2008, 05:22 AM
CTH Subscriber

It's a very good extension for synch'ing your bookmarks Dan, but sadly it doesn't work yet with Firefox 3. (Minefield or Gran Paradiso)
Old March 9th, 2008, 05:23 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.evans View Post
It's a very good extension for synch'ing your bookmarks Dan, but sadly it doesn't work yet with Firefox 3. (Minefield or Gran Paradiso)
give it time, maybe by the time they are out of beta, it will work.
Old March 9th, 2008, 05:32 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hopefully, it's a pain without it! You can't link your profiles to a single file now either because of the implementation of Places.

As you say Dan, out of Beta hopefully some of the extension authors will pick up on the fact there are no compatible bookmark synching extensions.
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:43 AM

congrats

Great job mr. keith. I would say you are a 100% firefox baby. You really have all the details. I'll have them saved in my head. so long!
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:02 AM
CTH Subscriber

Yes Yes Yes!!!

I tend to moan a lot about the really useful extensions that can't be linked over multiple profiles. This is because you have to set all the extension prefs up all over again in however many profiles you care to use. Well, I stumbled across this little gem earlier.

>>>>>OPIE<<<<<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extension Website
OPIE (Ordered Preference Import/Export) is a Firefox extension that allows you to import and export your installed extension preferences. This is useful when installing extensions in a new profile, or synchronizing multiple Firefox installations.
So, Once you've exported all the prefs from your fav extensions to a folder on your PC, creating a new profile now with your favourite extensions will be a doddle. Once installed just import the prefs!!!

Yee Har!!!
Old July 17th, 2008, 07:19 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
down them all. you can download files extremly quick by just right clicking on them. give it a try.
http://www.downthemall.net/
Old July 18th, 2008, 05:12 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
This is what I have:

Old August 27th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Greasemonely for use a script into a game-browser

Download Statusbar view downloads in an auto-hide statusbar

Flashblock for a block flash advertise
Old August 29th, 2008, 04:54 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
My latest add-on is Reminderfox - very useful for appointment pop up reminders.

Quote:
Orihginally Posted at mozdev.org
ReminderFox is an extension for Firefox and Thunderbird that displays and manages lists of date-based reminders and ToDo's. ReminderFox does not seek to be a full-fledged calendar system. In fact, the target audience is anybody that simply wants to remember important dates (birthdays, anniversaries, etc) without having to run an entire calendar application.