Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > MacOS

Notices

MacOS Problem solving for all MacOS versions

Topic Tools
Old September 26th, 2017, 11:46 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Erasing DVD+RW on iMac

I have an iMac running OS X. I'm trying to use a DVD+RW but can't get it erased. I have tried the standard disk utility, doing both a quick and complete erase but it doesn't work. It goes through the process, but when I try to burn to the DVD it generates an error.

I had this problem years ago (same OS) and I found an Adobe forum where I said I got it to work (I was using an Adobe product to burn the DVD). In my forum I mentioned I had an Apple support person help but I was still under warranty and now they cost a fortune to talk to you. Unfortunately, I can't find what I did but I'm suspecting the Apple guy had some trick he told me to try. I'm hoping somebody in this forum might know what it was.

I have a USB connected Apple SuperDrive.

Thanks

Rick
Old September 27th, 2017, 10:07 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
you can't just delete the files like you would on a harddrive? I know on a windows computer, a r/w dvd can be used just like another drive. try another dvd to see if the disk it is corrupted.
Old September 28th, 2017, 02:44 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
It's not a case of just deleting files on the DVD. I need the DVD to look like a blank one to be used by Adobe Premiere Elements to create a DVD movie. The software needs to think the disc is "unused".

I took another external DVD burner (a Pioneer) and it had the same problem as my Apple SuperDrive. I get to the "finish" part of the erase and the screen just goes away before I can choose a format type. It does appear to have gone through the entire erase part. (I have tried Quick and Complete.)

When I try to use the DVD that was erased by the Disk Utility in Adobe Premiere Elements to create a DVD movie, it gets almost to the end (98% on the status bar and it sounds like it is writing to the DVD) then it errors out with "Device Error - Sense Code (04 44 4C).
Old September 29th, 2017, 01:45 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: MacOS
I don't believe anything actually erases the DVD. (You can't "unburn" a laser burn) It merely sets sectors as "writable", then it overwrites those sectors. That's a far cry from an "unused" disc.

To be frank, I don't fully understand why you even bother with RW discs they've always had issues and the cost of new media is dirt cheap.
Old September 29th, 2017, 09:39 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
try it with a new dvd to see if you have the same issue.