Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old March 29th, 2014, 12:39 AM

O/S: Linux
Thunderbird

G'day Folks.
I am using Thunderbird for my email accounts. I keep my records up in the clouds to access from any computer.

Thunderbird used to work good, but lately it takes an awful long time to send the sent information to 'sent' (If that bit makes any sense)

Does any body have any ideas to speed it up.
Right now it takes about 5 minutes from start to finish.
Old March 29th, 2014, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sladden View Post
G'day Folks.
I am using Thunderbird for my email accounts. I keep my records up in the clouds to access from any computer.

Thunderbird used to work good, but lately it takes an awful long time to send the sent information to 'sent' (If that bit makes any sense)

Does any body have any ideas to speed it up.
Right now it takes about 5 minutes from start to finish.
nobody uses Thunderbird or Outlook Express nowdays it like keeping spam right on your PC
Old March 29th, 2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craisin View Post
nobody uses Thunderbird or Outlook Express nowdays it like keeping spam right on your PC
Well,,, I guess I am not nobody then. So I must be somebody. Right!!!!!!!

Maybe you are the type who only has one address.

I have a large family. WE all have our own private adresses, but we also share adresses for convience, and Thunderbird works quite nicely for us, so far.
It gives us all a good access to multiple shared adresses at the same time. No matter where we are in the world.

Now...... Do you have a solution to the speed, or maybe, an alternetive to Thunderbird. Other than Firefox and a mass of email server address changes?

Or are you just trying to look down your nose?
Old March 29th, 2014, 08:11 AM
CTH Subscriber

you really need to clarify what you are talking about. You are not making sense. you talk about email, you are talking about sending records, then you are talking about contacts??? What are those records? what cloud?

you may want to do a speed test on your upload speed to see if you are getting what you were promise or contact your isp to check your lines. also the cloud could be having issues and affecting the speed.
Old March 29th, 2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
you really need to clarify what you are talking about. You are not making sense. you talk about email, you are talking about sending records, then you are talking about contacts??? What are those records? what cloud?

you may want to do a speed test on your upload speed to see if you are getting what you were promise or contact your isp to check your lines. also the cloud could be having issues and affecting the speed.
O.K. I will try and be more clarified. I apologise if my word usage for description is not normal computer users language.

1st. I do not keep any emails on my computer. They stay in the email server records/storage/whatever (CLouds)
That way, if I lose a computer I don't lose my email records.

If i go through Firefox to Yahoo. Hotmail. Gmail etc. and send/forward an email it goes, and that is the end of it.

In Thunderbird. After clicking the send icon (word). 3 things happen.
1. Sending Message.
2. Delivering Message.
3. Sending to Sent Folder (Records)

1 & 2, work fine. Allmost instantaneous.

3, often takes up to 5 minutes to finish. I assume that it is sending my emailing records to my storage in whichever email server I sent it through.
The sent email does end into 'sent email' if I go back in through Firefox to have a look.

Well, I hope that makes sense.

Oh, and my internet speeds are fine
speedtest.net----------------Down--15.01 Mbps--------------------Up--2.85 Mbps.

Of course by me living in the bush. The speeds do vary according to other peoples usage, but not by very much.

Last edited by sladden; March 29th, 2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old March 29th, 2014, 09:44 AM
CTH Subscriber

that is a lot clear - thanks

for what you are doing, you really do not need thunderbird. I do something similar but no email client. I have a master email account which is a paid yahoo account. and I have several other email accounts in outlook, gmail and other services. I have them all forwarded automatically or pop3 into yahoo so I can read them no matter what computer or device I am on and without having to log into all the other accounts. Yahoo also lets me select which email account I can send from.

If you are having issues uploading, first try uninstalling and reinstalling thunderbird. If you have too many emails stored locally it can also slow you down - try archiving. If you been doing a lot of deleting, go into the settings and make sure you have empy trash on exit selected.

do you do any other uploading - like pictures? If so, is that slow also?
Old March 29th, 2014, 05:31 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Quote:
Please tell us how you got to the point of being able to say such pathetic things?
Old March 29th, 2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufbra View Post
Please tell us how you got to the point of being able to say such pathetic things?
you have to explain what is pathetic about what I said.

Everybody gets spam [well i do] why would i use a program that brings suspect emails on my HDD?
Why would I encourage others to use these programs?

Why are you long lost?
Old March 29th, 2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
that is a lot clear - thanks

for what you are doing, you really do not need thunderbird. I do something similar but no email client. I have a master email account which is a paid yahoo account. and I have several other email accounts in outlook, gmail and other services. I have them all forwarded automatically or pop3 into yahoo so I can read them no matter what computer or device I am on and without having to log into all the other accounts. Yahoo also lets me select which email account I can send from.

If you are having issues uploading, first try uninstalling and reinstalling thunderbird. If you have too many emails stored locally it can also slow you down - try archiving. If you been doing a lot of deleting, go into the settings and make sure you have empy trash on exit selected.

do you do any other uploading - like pictures? If so, is that slow also?
Thankyou.
I never considered doing it that way before. I will try it.

I still send comedy pictures to friends.

For world-wide family we don't need to any more, because we all have 1 computer set-up for (and running 24 hrs) on a family network.
That keeps us all in contact and we just look at or copy each others photo's and home-video's.

Although it is not as personal as Skype or FaceTime (which we also use between our laptops). It is much better and cheaper than the telephone.
Old March 30th, 2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:

Everybody gets spam [well i do] why would i use a program that brings suspect emails on my HDD?
Why would I encourage others to use these programs?

Why are you long lost?
G'day.
Yes, I believe we all do get spam.But I don't believe we are all affected by it. Not since linux anyway.

I don't normaly use Windows for the internet anymore, I keep it disconected by default. I only use Windows for working with software that I can't match on Linux.

For everything else, I use Linux and (So far) I don't think I have been fouled-up by nasty emails.

I usualy recognise possible spam and delete it without opening.
If I don't recognise it, then it opens with blockages. I then see it is not of interest to me and delete it.

So far. - So good.
Old March 30th, 2014, 04:59 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Quote:
The pathetic part of your post is your saying "nobody uses Thunderbird or Outlook Express nowdays it like keeping spam right on your PC"! How is it like keeping spam on your computer? The emails don't go into your computer, they stay on the email servers that you are subscribed to, that's why when you add accounts, you have to add all the required info for Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. As for no one using the programs, while I agree somewhat with you about Outlook Express (because that one isn't kept updated by MS anymore because they have moved onto other email client stuff), your remark about Thunderbird is totally pathetic, you should do some research before spouting off gibberish!!
Old March 30th, 2014, 08:49 PM

if you are right and i am wrong wheres your research to support your spouting.
Old March 30th, 2014, 08:59 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
if you are right and i am wrong wheres your research to support your spouting.
Since you started with nonsense, it is up to you to support your statement that nobody uses thunderbird or outlook express.

It is not the email client that attracts spam, it is you the user that attracts spam through your online usage and other sources. millions still use both thunderbird and outlook express in spite of what you think. as long as you do have the proper security in place and follow proper security procedures when dealing with email, you will not have to deal with problems caused by spam.

as I stated in a previous message, I do not use an email client and it has nothing to do with spam. It has to do with the following

1. having to deal with lost email in case of computer crash
2. not having to deal with transferring email to another computer when updating
3. keeping backup on several email services
4. able to read all emails no matter what device or computer without having to fight the settings to keep them on the server after downloading

Last edited by renegade600; March 30th, 2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old March 30th, 2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufbra View Post
The pathetic part of your post is your saying "nobody uses Thunderbird or Outlook Express nowdays it like keeping spam right on your PC"! How is it like keeping spam on your computer? The emails don't go into your computer, they stay on the email servers that you are subscribed to, that's why when you add accounts, you have to add all the required info for Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. As for no one using the programs, while I agree somewhat with you about Outlook Express (because that one isn't kept updated by MS anymore because they have moved onto other email client stuff), your remark about Thunderbird is totally pathetic, you should do some research before spouting off gibberish!!
Do you use Thunderbird?
i have used Thunderbird in the past when I had dial-up and the emails were imported through a pop3 server and I could read my emails while offline and create emails offline .
How do you reach your conclusions?
Old March 30th, 2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Since you started with nonsense, it is up to you to support your statement that nobody uses thunderbird or outlook express.
pray tell me what nonesense ?