Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old September 6th, 2008, 06:33 PM

JavaScript problem -- I think

My problem is this: sometimes JavaScript doesn't work on my computer. I have IE and Firefox, both fully updated, and the problem is the same for both of them.

A couple examples (I'm not 100% sure this is a JavaScript problem, hopefully these examples will determine if it is):

On Facebook, the bar at the bottom of the screen (chat bar) works only about 25% of the time. Other times I can click it and nothing will happen. Other certain things on Facebook don't work as well, such as the default uploading picture utility. It just continues to load the utility, showing the flower-circle-loading picture-thing constantly loading. I also can't tag people in pictures, as the list of people that comes up who I can choose from to tag doesn't load.

On ESPN.com, at the top of the page, near the logo, there's always several links to GameCasts of games going on at the time. When I click them once, the usual "IE has blocked this popup" bar comes up at the top of the page, so I tell IE not to block it. After the page reloads, I click the link(s) and nothing happens. However, when I go to the "scoreboard" page on ESPN.com where all the games from a certain league are listed, I can click on any of them and they'll launch.

On MLB.com, on the left side there are links to MLB GameDay (similar to gamecast on ESPN.com). None of them work for me, ever. Also, on brewers.com, half the page doesn't load, such as the Video Corner on the right, pretty much everything under the "Next game" to the immediate left of the video corner, whatever is supposed to show to the immediate left of the "Brewers headlines", etc. Also, if you go to the scoreboard page on MLB.com, and choose a date from the past, you should be able to click the score of any half inning and watch that on MLB.tv for free. Nothing launches when I click it though.

Those are just examples of what frustrate me right now. The computer is fast, the internet connection is fast, but JavaScript (or whatever the problem is) doens't work right. This happens both on IE and Firefox. Youtube works most of the time, by the way.

I use Windows XP on an AMD Sempron Processor 3100+, with 1.50 GB of RAM. On my IE Internet Options, under Advanced, the only thing under the heading "Java" (use JRE 1.6.0_07 for <applet>) is checked. I'm not sure what other settings you'd like to know to help me solve this problem. My "security level" is medium-high. I use Symantec Client Firewall. When I disable it the problems still exist.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old September 25th, 2008, 05:19 AM

bump. Any help anyone?
Old September 25th, 2008, 09:36 AM

i don't know , but try google chrome.
Old September 25th, 2008, 03:05 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
I am having the same problem. I cannot go to websites with java because java isn't working. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall java, still no luck.
Old September 25th, 2008, 03:13 PM

I am having the same problem. I cannot go to websites with java because java isn't working. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall java, still no luck.
Old October 1st, 2008, 02:48 AM

I tried Google Chrome...no luck either. Any ideas anyone?
Old October 1st, 2008, 03:32 PM

I kind of figured out the problem with my computer. I had a router hooked up to my computer and it wouldn't allow me to open anything with java. the only problem that i am having now is that I cannot play pogo games.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 12:38 AM

The computer that the problem is on is on a wireless network, and it's not the wired computer.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmam View Post
The computer that the problem is on is on a wireless network, and it's not the wired computer.
The computer is a desktop that is hooked directly into the wireless router. I unhooked it and hooked directly into the computer and some things seem to be better. I still cannot get into pogo to play games or anything that requires java to run.
Old October 15th, 2008, 03:51 AM

bump (Problems still persisting).
Old October 15th, 2008, 05:27 PM

I found out what the problem was with my computer. It was the firewall on my software that i have installed. It was blocking cookies and it wouldn't allow me to open anything with java. I have CA firewall (and anti-virus and spyware). I don't know if this will help you or not. Good luck.