Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old December 4th, 2011, 06:27 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Dell desktop wifi adapter,

Evening all,
I have a Dell 5150 desktop PC with a Cohiba 3887 USB wifi adapter fitted, when I boot up the PC and login, the adapter status is "connected to BT Homehub 2 - TRT2", after about 1 minute the status shows "unable to connect to your preferred wifi networks". If I then go to the wifi network list and connect manually everything is OK, how can get the adapter to connect automatically. I've had a look at the network setting (several times), the homehub is set to automatically connect, tried changing some of the settings but no joy. Thanks.

Operating system XP Professional
Laptop or Desktop Desktop
If name brand - Brand and Model # Dell 5150
Type of Mouse (USB/PS2/Wireless) Wireless
Type of Keyboard (USB/PS2/Wireless) Wirelass
Amount of memory 3GB
Motherboard model (if known) -
Video card (PCI/PCI-E/AGP) or Integrated Video (if known) -
Old December 5th, 2011, 06:35 PM
CTH Subscriber

Try using XP to configure the wireless connection rather than the software that came with the adapter. Disable or remove the cohiba connection software (if it's like my linksys, you'll need to disable it from startup rather than removing it) and then use xp to configure the network.
Old December 5th, 2011, 08:12 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a try when I get home, at work at the moment.
Old December 6th, 2011, 12:16 PM

Had a look at the startup list using msconfig but can't recognise the wireless adapter on it.
Any ideas what I should be looking for?
Old December 6th, 2011, 06:07 PM
CTH Subscriber

If it's in the startup tab of msconfig, look under the command column for an entry that points to the cohiba installation. Also check in the startup folder in the start menu. If it's located there, just right click it and delete it. (it will not un-install the drivers or software)
Old December 7th, 2011, 12:22 PM

It's not in the start menu startup folder, still can't see anything in msconfig that points me in the right direction.
Old December 7th, 2011, 06:00 PM
CTH Subscriber

Whatever software you use to do the following is what needs to be disabled/turned off (unless you are using xp's built in wireless controls.)

Quote:
If I then go to the wifi network list and connect manually everything is OK, how can get the adapter to connect automatically. I've had a look at the network setting (several times), the homehub is set to automatically connect, tried changing some of the settings but no joy
Old December 8th, 2011, 11:57 PM

OK, I've found the Cohiba driver and disabled it (that also disabled my wireless network connection), tried using windows new connection wizard but when I click finish, no new connection appears. Do I have to actually delete the old connection to create a new one?
Old December 9th, 2011, 03:16 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
OK, I've found the Cohiba driver and disabled it (that also disabled my wireless network connection), tried using windows new connection wizard but when I click finish, no new connection appears.
That's because you disabled the hardware and windows can't see it.
You need to re-enable the cohiba driver, the driver itself is needed so windows can see the adapter and communicate with it. You need to disable the software that you use to connect the adapter to the network.
Old December 16th, 2011, 07:38 PM

Eventually got around to deleting the BT Desktop help and help options software, now the adapter connects through windows everytime, thanks for your help.