Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old April 23rd, 2011, 06:01 PM

Computer so slow

I cannot understand why my sisters computer is slow,it use to be fast and sometimes it takes awhile to get in to a site.I did a malware scan but nothing there.Can you help in anyway?Please to clean it.Thanks.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 06:04 PM

And sometimes it fast,and the fan sometimes keeps running loud,when the put is slow.
Old April 24th, 2011, 09:22 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Have you checked it to make sure it is all clean? Sounds like it may have dust and dirt built up inside.
Old April 24th, 2011, 11:17 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
In addition to the above recommendation, I would also suggest some additional information as a starter:

In VISTA, go the Computer and Properties of the C: drive (assume that is the main partition) and see if you can post a figure of the image I've attached (this is from my own VISTA laptop - just curious 'how much' free space remains on your sister's computer (esp. if she downloads or adds a lot of music, photos, and movies)? If this is an issue then some major 'cleaning', i.e. removal of this data needs to be done.

Also, visit the 'Malware Forum' and follow the directions there - you may need to post a HijackThis log as a starter - your regular AV/malware programs may not find all of the problems that may be slowing a computer - believe me I've been there several times on 2 different computers.

There are certainly other considerations, but these from several posts should get you started - good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HDriveUsage.JPG (47.3 KB, 4 views)
Old April 27th, 2011, 02:02 AM

i do not know how to copy the picture.butused space is 63.9 gb do you need the bytes?..and the free space is 78.0 gb..........
Old April 27th, 2011, 02:28 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by vErYdEeP1 View Post
i do not know how to copy the picture.butused space is 63.9 gb do you need the bytes?..and the free space is 78.0 gb..........
Well, on a VISTA computer there is a great little program called the 'Snipping Tool' which allows you to select a portion of the monitor as a screen capture; this will be saved as a JPEG picture which can be uploaded - that's all that I did w/ my attachment.

But from your comments above, it appears that the HD is only half full, so that should not be a MAJOR explanation for the slowness of your sister's computer.

Thus, take the next suggestion and visit the 'Malware Forum' and post there - if nothing serious is found, then other checks will be needed.