Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old September 5th, 2010, 05:24 AM

Laptop hard drive won't startup

I have an IBM T42 Laptop and the hard drive quit working. I took a working hard drive from another laptop and it would not startup as well. Any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks,
Old September 5th, 2010, 08:26 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
unless the other computer is the exact same model as your ibm then it will not work. different computets, different motherboard, different drivers. If you want to use the other drive, then you will need to do a repair install.

Something to consider, unless the os on the working laptop was purchased retail and did not come with the computer, it can never be use on another computer. so if this is the case, you will have to reinstall the os.
Old September 7th, 2010, 05:23 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Sounds like your not getting power to the hd. The drive should atleast spin if all connections are the same and properly seated. Only way I know of to check is to use a tester and see if it is getting power. But, if you dont know what your doing, I'd recomend taking it to a shop to test it.