Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old November 8th, 2022, 04:48 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Windows 10 OEM Key

Hello. Have any of you installed Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool then typed in a Windows 10 OEM Key successfully?

Also, do any of you running Windows 10 have a Key that starts with a zero or letter O? When I tried to enter my Windows 7 Key that started with either a zero or a letter O I got a message saying "Some of these characters can't appear in the in the Product Key".

Thanks
Old November 8th, 2022, 09:28 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
did the computer have win10 installed on it before?
Old November 9th, 2022, 03:41 AM
CTH Subscriber

Not with a Key...so never Activated under Windows 10
Old November 9th, 2022, 08:54 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Using the media creation tool, you either have to of had windows already on it (Windows 7/8/8.1 activated or a product key for Windows 10. If there is a previous activated windows on it, just skip the key, when its done then it gets on line and will automatically activate

When you are using the tool, and there is already a version of windows, disconnect from the internet before trying to install. After done then connect and it will do the updates.

An OEM license refers to the license that a manufacturer installs on new devices. If this is your case, the product key isn't transferable, and you can't use it to activate another installation. (Unless you're re-activating a new installation on the same computer.)

Unfortunately if you do not have a Windows 1o key you will need to buy one. There are plenty of Legit sites you can get a key that works relatively cheaply. Just do a google search and be sure to read the reviews first.

One of the sites I have used several times is:

https://microsoftsoftwares.com/
Old November 9th, 2022, 11:30 PM
CTH Subscriber

That's definitely much cheaper.

To be clear, You can type in the key that microsoftsoftwares.com sends without installing from their download?
Old November 9th, 2022, 11:42 PM

I don't know, I have always downloaded from the site they gave but it is A Microsoft Site. I have bought cheaper keys from someone overseas, but one of them un-activated after 6 months. From Softwares.com I have bought and installed Office 2021 3 times and Windows 10 pro once all still working OK.

I believe the link they provide is from Microsoft. So you can try it, if not then download from the site they give , then make a ISO to a USB ot DVD to install.
Old December 21st, 2022, 12:17 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hello. I should probably fill you in on how things went.

I bought and was emailed the Product Key for Windows 10 Home from where Murf recommended without a problem. When I entered in the new Key a little window popped up saying I should Upgrade my Editon of Windows to add new features. I then clicked on "Start" to do that. After it did its thing and restarted Windows, a little message appeared on the lower right of the screen that said "Success!. This made me think everything just worked.

When I checked Settings>Update & Security>Activation it showed the below message...

"We can't activate Windows on this device because the product key was already used on another device. If you think it wasn't used on another device, select Troubleshoot below. Error code: 0xC004008"

Then I also noticed that on that same page it now says it's Windows 10 Pro now.

I tried the something with the "Troubleshooting" on that page and that didn't work.

Even though I could have swore that I had installed Windows 10 Home I wiped the Windows
10 partition then made sure to install the Home version from scratch. This produced the same results as above again.

Later I tried to start a chat session with Microsoft. The confirmation email they sent me was supposed to have a single use code but had other stuff and no code instead. I decided to give up on the chat for a while.

Just a few hours ago I looked at the Activation page for the first time in a number of days and was surprised so find that the Key is now accepted but it still says Pro.

When it wanted to Upgrade my Editon of Windows to add new features was it supposed to change it to Pro?

Should I reinstall it as Home again and try to make it take as Home?

Thanks
Old December 31st, 2022, 07:44 AM

Sorry been away. Did you buy from Microsoftsoftwares.com? Just leave it Pro, Pro is Home with a couple other features.
Old January 1st, 2023, 01:11 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Did you buy from Microsoftsoftwares.com?
Yes. That worked fine.