Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old June 12th, 2013, 10:49 AM

O/S: Windows Vista
Unhappy Need help with browser update

Hi everybody,
I am here again. I have been having trouble with my browser when I browse the internet. I have Vista and IE 7. When I go to some websites, I receive the message "Your browser is unsupported. Please update to a newer browser." At first, I did not update, because I like IE 7. A few years ago, I updated to IE 8 and did not like it, so I uninstalled it and since then I have been using the IE 7. It was doing fine except for those "update your browser" messages which I was ignoring. However, in the last few days, some webpages do not display correctly. They are now displaying in a gray background with blue letters. Some other pages display correctly. I believe this to be because of the age of my browser.

I finally decided to "bite the bullet" and upgrade my browser since it is so old. I decided to upgrade to IE 8 and I did not like it because of the new position of the words on the Toolbar so I uninstalled it. Then I downloaded IE 9 which I liked, but when I dowloaded the required updates, my computer would not connect to the internet, so I uninstalled IE 9 and then since I couldn't get connected, I ran System Restore and that fixed everything, except I still needed a new browser so I decided on Firefox and downloaded it. I still like it, but I can't get it to be the default browser. Then, yesterday I downloaded Chrome. I did not like it much, so I uninstalled it and downloaded Opera. I liked it very much and I was going to use it. However, when I went to Blogger to begin my blog, I received the message "Blogger does not work with Opera. Try Google Chrome." I had to uninstall Opera. Now, I am trying to find a browser to update IE7 with. I am not really trying to get an alternative browser, but I would consider one. I hope to be able to use IE since I am already used to it, but there were problems as I have already mentioned. I would appreciate any help that you can offer me. Thank you.
Old June 12th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
If the position of the Menu bar (File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools, Help) is the only thing you don't like in IE 8, Microsoft has provided this fix.

Or on the search engine of your choice to look for "move menu bar above address bar ie8" for several hundred sources for the instructions for the procedure. The procedure is the same on all of them, just presented differently.
Old June 12th, 2013, 10:06 PM

Thanks for the link. This is one of the things that I didn't like. Your link will fix it for me. Another thing I forgot to mention is that when I had downloaded the IE 8 I noticed that the display was kind of messed up. Boxes that were supposed to be squares were now rectangles and I couldn't correct this when I changed my display settings so I uninstalled IE 8. Do you know of a fix for this or have any idea what may have caused it? I have not seen this behaviour before oe since I uninstalled IE 8. Thanks again.
Old June 12th, 2013, 11:55 PM

I'm certainly no expert on Internet Explorer, any version, because I've been using Firefox for quite a few years.

However, I did open several pages with both IE 10 and Firefox 21, toggled back and forth between the two and saw no difference in how the pages displayed.

If you can post the URLs of a couple of the sites you saw the squares-into-rectangles problem, I might be more help.
Old June 13th, 2013, 02:25 AM

Unfortunately, the squares into rectangles was only on my computer. After I downloaded IE 8, I right clicked on the desktop to check the display settings because the box that came up was a rectangle instead of a square, yet the resolution said it was the same as it had been before I installed IE 8. Then I uninstalled IE 8 and checked this box again and it was a square again like it is supposed to be.
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:52 AM

I'm not sure my knowing this will help but what rectangles that turn into squares are you talking about?
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:58 AM

After I downloaded IE 8, I right clicked on the desktop to check the display settings because the icons were smaller. When I right click on the desktop and choose personalize (to find the display settings) a square box appears that has the display settings in it. This was like always except that after I downloaded IE 8, the square box was now a rectangle.
Old June 13th, 2013, 02:18 PM

I don't know why the square changed shape but given the security vulnerabilities of the version of Internet Explorer you're now using and the enhanced security of version 8, I can only strongly urge you to upgrade to version 8.

The difference between square and rectangle becomes insignificant compared to the potential loss of data, access to and theft of any personal data you have stored on your computer and the hassle, perhaps expense, of repairing the operating system should the security holes of the older version of IE get exploited.
Old June 13th, 2013, 02:21 PM

Oh, yes, forgot to add that the size of the desktop icons is easily changed by right-clicking on the desktop, going to View and in the menu that opens, choosing the size icon you prefer.
Old June 13th, 2013, 02:25 PM

Internet Explorer 9 is an even better option than v 8.