Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old September 14th, 2010, 01:53 AM

Computer Chugging. Insight Requested.

Unexpected Slowdowns "Chugging"

My PC is a few years old, but has quality parts (see lowdown below). For the last year or so I haven't been able to use it much because it infrequently "chugs" - during these periods of time it sounds like the hard drive is being accessed, followed by a soft "knocking" sound. After 15-30 seconds the computer unlocks.

To throw a curve in this problem, when I play movies - it doesn't lock up (almost ever). This includes playing movies on an external hard drive.

The number 1 time this problem happens is during games, but it can also happen shortly after boot up (windows explorer locks down and I have to reboot).

At first, I thought it was just the hard drive. So I replaced it. Same thing with the new one.

Then, I thought it was heat. The hard drives are in a metal carrier chassis, stacked one on top of the other. The chassis holding the drives gets warm, but the power supply they are adjacent to does not. I pulled the middle hard drive out to give the other two more room. The issues seemed to lessen, but not by much.

I've also added/changed around the ram, and upgraded the processor.

The only thing I have not done is replace the mobo, but I do not think that is the issue.

I have, of course, formatted a few times too.

I've ran disk scans and all other manner of hardware checks - everything comes back A-OK. Even the chugging hard drive reports as being fine. Any help would be much appreciated!

*Edit* In addition, the computer occasionally reboots itself - does a check (finds no problems) and comes back up fine. Without a BSOD.

Computer specs:

Time of this report: 9/12/2010, 15:54:21
Machine name: XXX
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.100218-0019)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/14/07 20:46:02 Ver: 08.00.12
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 7102MB RAM
Page File: 1858MB used, 12428MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8800 GTX
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0191&SUBSYS_039C10DE&REV_A2
Display Memory: 4030 MB
Dedicated Memory: 735 MB
Shared Memory: 3295 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Old September 14th, 2010, 05:11 AM

Strange that you would complain about a hard drive problem, and then list everything but the kitchen sink and not the hard drives. From your comment about removing a drive from the middle I would guess three or more and their manufacturers would be...?

The C drive is your OS and if its the one chugging but your videos are stored on D then its no surprise they play without chugging including the external. The games, if installed to C > Program files would chug if run from C. If you replace a drive but its not the one thats causing the chug (one drive being accessed can cause what you think is another to chug. The chug sound you describe is probably one of the drives head assembly trying to find the first part of the disk. Thats the same thing that happens to floppys too when you here them chatter, the heads are clacking against the front part of the disks stop. Usually it means the disk is having trouble initializing itself and finding the start address of the drive. Sometimes running a chkdsk /r on it will fix the issue although that sounds like what the reboot is doing and it finds nothing. If you have many drives, you have to identify the bad one and if you copy the bad one to a new drive whats to say you don't copy the error over too? If the error is written to the disk like a master boot record or header position, it will copy over unless you fix it first.
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:29 AM

Appz,

I think you may be right. I will probably try copying critical files out of the drive, removing it, and using another drive as a test. If the issues persist, I'm fairly confident that it's Mobo or Power Supply related.
Old September 15th, 2010, 02:50 AM

If you have the option in your bios, you can enable Smart Drive for all drives, it will monitor them and if it see's something wrong it will warn you. Even my older motherboards have smart drive in the bios. Each manufacturer makes its own disk diagnostic utilities. If you have a Seagate and a WD as well as a Samsung, run each with its own diagnostics utility from their site to get the best and most accurate results.
Old September 15th, 2010, 03:34 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Open the case and run it while the case cover is off, if you have a fan turn it into the case and run. It could be the hard drive is over heating, symptons appear that could be the problem. If you run with good air flow and it stops there is the problem
Old September 23rd, 2010, 05:46 AM

Update

Update:

Ended up being the power supply. It worked normally until the video card put it under load, then the wattage dropped to below operational.
Old September 24th, 2010, 05:22 PM

May I ask what power supply you were using and if your mobo had an eight or four pin secondary power hookup?
Old September 28th, 2010, 11:10 AM

To be honest, I forget what it was. It was a flashy 750 from new egg. It all fit right; one or two of the capacitors had blown and, under load, it wasn't able to fully engage the video card and just....froze.