Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:56 AM

O/S: Linux
Question Eircom Router is not being detected by laptop!

Hi.
I had a look at a friends laptop to gave it a spring clean. He normally connects via Ethernet cable to the internet. He asked me about using wireless. So I turned on the wireless button on the laptop and enabled wireless in the Netopia router. His laptop is picking up other networks from nearby houses. However his own router is not being picked up by his laptop. Does anyone know what to do?
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:49 PM

O/S: Linux
Perhaps his router is not broadcasting the SSID. If that is the case you can connect to it manually by knowing the name of it and the security type/key.
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:58 PM

Hello Megatron,

If you log into your router you can check to see if broadcasting a SSID is enabled or disabled. Some networks might be hidden so wireless computers may not detect them. If you know the SSID and encryption key you can try entering that utility of your wireless adapter.