Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Web Development & Graphic Design

Notices

Web Development & Graphic Design Problem Solving for Graphic Design, PHP, ASP, Perl, MySQL, SQL, XML, HTML issues

Topic Tools
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:14 PM

Domain name help...

I recently bought a domain name from UK Reg, however I am a little confused as how it will work with my website.

I'm currently hosting it on a friend's webspace: http://www.antni.com/littleredpostbox

I have entered the DNS name servers into the domain name control panel along with the IP address, but as yet nothing has happened. UK Reg says it takes 72 hours to fully register.

Could someone explain the process to me? I don't see how entering the name server and IP address would point to the folder that I want it to...

Sorry for sounding vague, but I'm new to web stuff!

Cheers,
Adam
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:18 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
what domain name did you purchase? Usually it will take round 72 hours for it to work. We can check it out for you.
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

The DNS has to be setup at boths ends.

What you have done is told the domain name to point to the IPaddress.
If your end is working then when you type the domain then it should load the webpage for that IP, or it may load an error page depending on how the site is setup.

What your friend has to do is setup DNS records on the server to point the domain name to a website/folder on the server.
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:34 PM

www.littleredpostbox.co.uk
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:36 PM

Oh, right. So something has to be done on the server end to make it work properly. Would I get a different IP address for a different folder or does an IP address just point to a sever location?
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

You need to setup the DNS on the server so that it knows that the domain name is associated with the server.

You then need to setup the webserver to point the domain name to the folder on the server where the website is.

Obviously the method is different for Windows/IIS, Linux/Apache or other combination of server and webserver.