Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old June 12th, 2011, 06:09 AM

Network-IP is changing ?!

hello ...

i have 3 computers connected to a modem or router. everything was working fine.
but now the router changes the IP all the time.

the normal IP is 192.168.2.1 .... thats the number i use to lock myself into router to make some changes like virtuel server !
but now this IP changes to 172.18.0.1 .... and if this happens i cannot lock myself into the router to do any changes. the internet is still working.

i have to push the reset-button on my router to get everything on factory settings and chang the IP back. sometimes it hold for half a day sometimes only half a hour until the IP changes again. i allready took the old router back to the store and got a new one - the same result !!!

i dont know what to do anymore ... i hope somebody can help
Old June 12th, 2011, 01:13 PM

Hello Der Majo,

I have never experienced a router changing its ip address like this as you explained and you have to use the reset button to change it back. Would you provide us with the make and model of the modem and router you have?
Old June 12th, 2011, 07:07 PM

it is a ARRIS WTM 552A

and this is the main site of my router - as you can see the IP is again 172.18.0.1 .... i have to press reset again to make any changes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old June 12th, 2011, 07:42 PM

I really don't know why it would change the LAN ip address. You may try going into the LAN setup and change it rather than using the reset button.

Have you contacted Arris support?
Old June 12th, 2011, 08:49 PM

i really dont know how to contact somebody at ARRIS ... i have to log in but to create an account i need a "support contract ID" ... i guess only the cable company can get support as a contracter.

what do you mean with LAN setup ... where can i change the IP there?
is there a possibility that one of the computers is changing the LAN IP?

and thanks a lot for trying to help !!
Old June 12th, 2011, 11:56 PM

When you log into the router, you see over on the left side there is a LAN setup? You should be able to into the LAN setup settings and give a starting and ending address for the DHCP server. You should be able to change the ip address of the LAN rather than resetting the router everytime.
Old June 13th, 2011, 02:56 AM

OK .... this is what the screen looks like if i click on LAN button:

in this screen i can change all the black numbers.

to me it looks like the range is only from 192.168.2.2 to 192.168.2.100 .... there is 172-IP somewhere.
Old June 13th, 2011, 01:26 PM

Would you provide us with the ipconfig/all details on one or two computers with the problem?
Old June 13th, 2011, 02:14 PM

thats the screen:
and there is the wrong 172-IP again.

Old June 13th, 2011, 03:02 PM

I see why you have to keep reseting the router.

I don't know why it is getting 172-IP different than the DHCP server. You should be getting a 192.168.2.x range on the local area network.

As much frustating this might be to you, I cannot help you solve this case. You can try contacting Arris technical support, although I'm not sure how much help they will be. If you ever happened to get this solved, I would appreciate letting us what you did so we can all learn from it.

You can also see what other replies you get from this thread. Someone may have an answer.
Old June 14th, 2011, 01:17 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Hi Der Majo,

I don't know if I can be of any help, but I have some questions for you.

Is this router from your ISP, or did you buy it on your own?

Have you change the default password on it to make sure someone isn't logging in and messing with your head by changing the IP setting?
Old June 14th, 2011, 02:09 AM

yes .... the router is from my ISP .... "Access Communication" !!

and i did change the password - i had the same thought - but it still happens .... its changing the IP and i cannot login into the router menu - i get allways a "LOGIN ERROR" !
Old June 15th, 2011, 01:43 AM

So your LAN IP is changing and so is the password?

If that is the case, have you checked with your ISP to see if they are pushing out some kind of update to the router that would make these changes?

Also, if there is an option to disable the admin acess from the WAN/internet side make sure you do that.

Lastly, if there is wireless, either disable it or enable encryption, preferably WPA2.
Old June 16th, 2011, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1p View Post

Also, if there is an option to disable the admin acess from the WAN/internet side make sure you do that.

Lastly, if there is wireless, either disable it or enable encryption, preferably WPA2.

i dont know really how to do all that ?!

---> BUT on friday the ISP is sending a computer technician .... maybe he'll find something !!!
Old June 16th, 2011, 07:53 PM

Let us know how its goes. i also recommend trying to get him to explain anything he does. That way if the problem persists you know what didn't work and if the problem goes away and comes back you know something to try.

And me personally, I like to know what someone is doing when they are messing with my stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Majo View Post
i dont know really how to do all that ?!

---> BUT on friday the ISP is sending a computer technician .... maybe he'll find something !!!