Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old August 8th, 2008, 11:30 AM

Sudden Router Problem

Recently I bought a wireless router and a wireless PCI card, installed them and they've been working better than I had imagined.

But my router (http://www.dlink.ca/products/?sec=1&pid=501) has really been acting up in the past couple days.

I'm not sure if it's a problem with the actual hardware or if it might have something to do with recently starting to share it with my older sister. My only reason behind leaning towards it might having to do something with her computer is because she admittedly has never updated the OS (Vista) since she has gotten the computer, uses torrents frequently (I don't have a clue how torrents work), and always seems to be running 10-12+ things simultaneously and continuously.

The Problem
having to Repair the connection several times a day. The program which came with the router says to unplug the router for 10 seconds, for it to perform a "power cycle". It works well!.. for an hour or two. but as time goes by, the latency gradually goes down until it hits rock bottom and the whole process needs to be repeated.

What the hell?
Old August 8th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
What router are you using?

I can't get the link you provided to load...
Old August 8th, 2008, 06:34 PM

O/S: Linux
Make sure nothing is causing any interference, try switching the wireless channel number to see if that makes a difference.
Old August 8th, 2008, 08:05 PM

O/S: MacOS
Check for firmware updates and if available update to the latest firmware or if supported 3rd party firmware. I had tons of problems with my Dlink router until I updated the firmware and even then it still needed to be reset at least once a week. I ditched mine for a Linksys, but I also had a cheap dlink, I forget the exact model, it was a d510 or something like that...

Also as RDG said, try a different channel. Neither the Dlink or the Linksys worked well on the default channel (9) for me, I tried several different channels and finally found that in my area 11 gave the best results. There's about 15 wireless networks in range of my house and most likely at least 1/2 of them are probably using 9.

z1p - it's a DIR-625 (N)
Old August 9th, 2008, 05:59 AM

The first thing I tried was Tracking my older sisters computer as an intruder, but it wasn't doing anything. So I disconnected her computer from the router, gave it a final power cycle and rebooted my computer.

Now it's working very well again.

Should I just deny her access? I'm not sure what to do.