Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old October 1st, 2010, 05:11 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
"????.exe has stopped working"

I have been googleing this problem for some time now and haven't seen a fix for it, to be honest I am not sure it is a windows 7 problem but seems to have started since windows 7 has been installed. Anyways to the problem.

I have a pretty decent gaming rig and I play all types of games, but about 3 months ago I started having problems with games that randomly stop working with the pop up that "whatever.exe has stopped working", I have had Windows 7 for about 8 months prior.

Like I said it will be playing and it will freeze and the pop up will say "Just cause 2.exe has stopped working" or "MafiaII.exe has stopped working". These are just a couple of the games that will do this and stop working along with Team fortress 2 and Gears of War, however other games like Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age & Left 4 Dead seem to work fine with no problem so far.

VLC Player and Windows Media Player used to do this as they played video as well but I formatted my hard drive and since loaded everything fresh again and it seems like only games have this issue now. After googleing the problem lots of times I have seen people say its a DirectX problem and running a update from one of the games DirectX setups would fix it, but it never helped me as I ran it a bunch of times to update DirectX. This also lead me to format my hard drive thinking it might of been a corrupt install but the problem seems to still be there after a fresh load of everything.

The only change I can think of is going from a Nvidia 250GTS (which was RMA'd because it had artifact issues) to a ATI 4890 about 4 months ago, all the proper measures were taken in switching cards and removing the Nvidia drivers and installing the ATI drivers. Also there was a format that happened about a week ago so the Nvidia drivers or anything Nvidia would of been completely wiped off so no conflicts there. At first I thought it might of been another video card issue but getting my hands on a 4850 and swapping it out and testing it came with the same result of games that just stop working with the pop up, so unless it is a ATI issue or 4000 series issue I don't think it is the video card.

Right now I am baffled as to what can be causing the problem, my windows and games are legit so there would be no piracy problems. If anyone has some suggestions I am all ears to try it out to fix this annoying issue.

Last edited by Ikon; October 1st, 2010 at 05:15 AM.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 04:12 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
Let's see what programs you have running.

Download (Save) and change Startup.programs.txt to Startup.programs.bat
(When you change the suffix it's going to ask ...are you sure?, say Yes)

It's going to open a text file, copy and paste here.
After, it's going to leave a folder on your Desktop DELETE_ME, you can delete it.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Startup.programs.txt (240 Bytes, 3 views)
Old October 3rd, 2010, 08:22 AM

The only thing that popped up was this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\curr entVersion\run
RtHDVCpl REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RAVCpl64.exe
Skytel REG_SZ C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\Skytel.exe

But when I go into msconfig under the startup tab it shows:
HD Audio Control Panel
Realtek Voice Manager
Windows Live Messenger
Steam
Catalyst Control Center
Java Platform SE Auto Updater 2 0
Adobe Acrobat
Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager
Itunes
Old October 5th, 2010, 05:51 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
In Run... type eventvwr.msc and on the left side open up Windows Logs then click once on Application

Check your red exclamation marked errors. You can two-click the errors and information will be on the General(tab) and more information will be on the Details(tab).

The Details(tab) also allows opening up the +System to get the EventID number.

exe names and EventID numbers would help if you can paste them here.
Old October 5th, 2010, 08:06 AM

I took a look through and these are the only ones that pop up since I formatted my PC, I either haven't played the other games giving me trouble or I haven't had any of the programs crash yet which hopefully means they have been fixed(knock on wood). If you need more info just let me know.

JustCause2.exe
EventID 1000
[ Qualifiers] 0

&

hl2.exe
EventID 1000
[ Qualifiers] 0