Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old June 24th, 2010, 02:51 AM

1 long beep followed by 2 quick beeps

This happened to me while I was resetting the cmos by unplugging the battery for 5 mins. I even tried the 3pin cmos reset thing, I found the cmos reset words underneath the orange sata plugin, but I didn't see a 3 pin thing anywhere.

Anyway to fix the 3 beeps, I plugged in an old defective video card I had laying around and it worked long enough for me to go into bios menu and reset to default. I than took out the old video card and used my on-board video, which confirmed restoring bios to default worked. Good thing so far. So I start up Vista and the same problem, that led me to try and reset bios in the first placed, is still there. When I load up vista, the screen goes black and vista continues to load up. I can hear the startup sounds through the speakers.

So back to the 3pin thing. I read on that I need to locate the words cmos reset on my motherboard, which I did. The problem is I do not see pins anywhere near the words. I want to reset but I need help locating. I'll see if I can upload pictures of my motherboard if I can get a hold of a camera.

These are the pictures of where the cmos reset supposedly is. The words anyway. This was taken from the cellphone so it's blurry

Last edited by jinjishu; June 24th, 2010 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Added pictures
Old June 24th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
The beep code you're getting indicate a video problem.

Since it worked with the old video card but displays nothing with the onboard video, the onboard video chip is probably toast.

The fix would be to get a new video card.

I'm not clear on why resetting the BIOS would have any effect on a bad video chip, though.
Old June 24th, 2010, 03:47 AM

The on board shouldn't be fried because I can see up until the loading screen for the vista startup is finished. The loading bar that slides back and forth at the bottom of the screen. I can also use the on-board on my Windows XP partition on this computer.

The problem is that a long time ago I uninstalled the video drivers on vista so I can install new ones for the graphic card. When I uninstalled them, the screen went black. A person on another forum said just because I unistalled the drivers doesn't mean the screen should be black and suggested that I reset my cmos.

I do not know how to install drivers back to my vista partition if I cannot see where I am going.
Old June 24th, 2010, 04:01 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
From what I can tell, you don't have your on-board graphics drivers and windows can't access them. Insert your vista DVD and go to the recovery console. start a cmd prompt and run the system file checker by typing the following:
Code:
sfc /scannow
See if that works and let us know how it goes.
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:00 AM

It says
Quote:
windows resource protection could not start up.
There was an option to install drivers though, so I will download them and see if I can install them.

EDIT:

I tried sfc/scannow after restarting and I didn't get that error, but it did not do anything to fix the video problem. When I entered it in, the command prompt showed other sfc functions and explained them. It may have done something, I did not get an error.

I also tried installing the drivers I had put on my flash drive and they won't show up when I click on load drivers button. I downloaded these from the nvidia site. Is there some special format they have to be in in order to install the driver?

EDIT2:

I will just do a clean install of windows 7 instead. I've been meaning to upgrade from vista for some time now.

Thanks for the help

Last edited by jinjishu; June 24th, 2010 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Going to install windows 7 and get rid of vista