Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old June 18th, 2007, 02:05 AM

whats better vista home premium or ultimate

hi, i like to play games and run at the highest speed possible, i was wondering what would be better for me ultimate or home premium. i heads ultimate was a memory hog so if anything it would slow it down is that true? would the vista basic be better than premium or ultimate because less resources would be needed.
Old June 18th, 2007, 04:15 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
IF you get basic, then you might as well go back to XP
so Home Premium or Ultimate
Ultimate has the Vista Business features that you may not need, also has a few extras you may not need
so go for home Premium

as for memory use, I personally havent tested all of this, but according to microsoft's requirements Basic requires 512MB, the rest needs 1GB
Old June 18th, 2007, 03:19 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
forget basic, its a waste of money. see this comparison of the different vista versions.

Generally speaking, home premium is the one you want.
Old July 24th, 2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
forget basic, its a waste of money. see this comparison of the different vista versions.

Generally speaking, home premium is the one you want.
I'll probably be buying a new 'travel' laptop in the next few months - VISTA seems the way to go - I was planning to upgrade to 2 GB of RAM, but was 'undecided' on which 'version' of VISTA to purchase; my son, a computer network manager, recommended the Home Premium selection - seems to be the choice in this thread, so far - any differences of opinion? BTW - this will not be used in my office or on a large wired network (just 'wireless' at home w/ 2 computers). Thanks all!
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:49 AM

Home Premium with 2GB memory and a good Video Card....Lappie then built in largest you can get.
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Home Premium with 2GB memory and a good Video Card....Lappie then built in largest you can get.
Murf - thanks for confirming my thoughts - I'll cetainly 'upgrade' the video card - currently am using a 3 year-old IBM X40 and want the 'same size' - so looking @ Lenovo's updates of that 'ultra portable' & the Dell options (can get a discount) - I'm sure there are some other choices in this size -
Old July 25th, 2007, 01:24 AM

Good choice, you can have all the memory in the world, but a cheap video card or one that has limited memory will impact performance drastically. Particular is 3D capabilities which would be important to you as a gamer.

I'm not a gamer but run Vista Home Premium with 2GB memory and two 256MB Video Cards (dual monitors) w/dual core processor..Performace is exceptional as I do multitask a lot. I'm sure games which can be memory hogs, really task a video card.

For example the Dell Inspiron XPS finally putting Video chips in notebooks for gaming.

It holds a 3.4GHz Pentium 4, 2GB of DDR400 Ram tucked onto an i865PE motherboard. The screen is one of the most beautiful LCDs ever seen and will run a very workable 1920x1200 desktop.

The XPS notebook comes equipped with one of the strongest 3D video accelerators sold, the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 backed with 128MB of RAM.

Something in this neighborhood would be what I would be looking for in a lappie for gaming.