Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:22 AM

***STOP: 0x000000A5

Hello, I recently purchased Windows Vista but when trying to install it, a blue screen will pop up and say:

***STOP: 0x000000A5 (0x0001000A, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Any help would be GREATLY appriciated.

-Brian
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:47 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Hi there,

It seems it could be a harware compatibility issue or your motherboard might need a new BIOS.

A "Stop: 0x000000A5" error message typically indicates that the computer BIOS is incompatible with the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) standard that is supported in Windows Vista. However, this error can also occur because the computer hardware, the peripherals, or the drivers for those devices are incompatible with Windows Vista.

If you receive this error message when you install Windows Vista, follow these steps:1. Restart the computer.
2. Roll back the installation to the previous operating system.
3. Contact the computer manufacturer for information about how to obtain and to install a BIOS update.
4. Disconnect any external hardware devices that are connected to the computer. Additionally, remove or disconnect any hardware that the computer manufacturer does not support.
5. Try to upgrade to Windows Vista again. If you receive a "Stop: 0x0000007B" error message during the upgrade process, contact the computer manufacturer. If you can upgrade to Windows Vista, the problem was likely related to hardware or to software that was installed in the previous operating system...from Microsoft Support.

If you can start with the previous OS, download the Upgrade Advisor.
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:27 PM
CTH Subscriber

As an afterthought, if you can't rollback to the original operating system, see this article.
Old June 9th, 2007, 12:24 AM

Thanks for the help.

I read the artical because I cannot roll back to the original operating system. And about a new BIOS, contacting my manufacturer wasn;t much help because I placed a new motherboard (MSI) and processor into my Compaq. When I put in my XP CD, it takes me to a blue screen and at the bottom says WINDOWS IS LOADING FILES and the name of the file is it loading. After it is done, the PC restarts and does the same thing over and over again.

If I get a new BIOS, will I be able to install Vista? If so, how do I obtain a BIOS and install it into my computer?

*EDIT*
I should also add that I have an ATI Radeon 9550 Graphics card. After browsing around I found that drivers that are incompatable with Vista will keep it from running. Could that be a cause of the failure when installing vista?

Last edited by Brian2570; June 9th, 2007 at 12:28 AM.
Old June 9th, 2007, 10:29 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hi again,

Did you buy an upgrade version of Vista or the retail version? If you bought an upgrade version then you must have XP with SP2 installed.

Obviously, if it is an upgrade version then you'll have to sort out the installation of XP to begin with. Once that's sorted, plug in every peripheral item (printers, scanners, USB memory sticks) and download the Vista Upgrade Advisor and run it.

If you bought the full retail version (or got an OEM version with your new motherboard and CPU) then insert the disc, choose the Custom option, decide where to instal Vista, click Drive options and format the HDD before installing.

If you know your video card drivers are a problem with Vista, then remove the card and let the onboard graphics take over. When/if Vista installs, download the latest drivers from ATI. Then put in your video card and install the drivers.
Old June 9th, 2007, 10:33 AM
CTH Subscriber

What model is your motherboard? We can check if there are any BIOS updates suitable for Vista. Hopefully though, that won't be needed. Updating or 'flashing' your BIOS can leave you with a dead motherboard if not done properly.