Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:18 AM

Question Permissions and Trying to Delete Files

I am trying to follow the directions of tech support for my Lexmark printer, which is not working in Windows Vist, and delete all the Lexmark related files. After this, I can reload the program.

However, Windows Vista says it is denying permission. I have tried using my administrative account privileges, but to no avail. I have Googled and read several articles about using permissions in Vista, but am still at am impasse. I am the only user on my computer. I have turned off the UAC settings.

HELP! Thanks
Old May 27th, 2007, 05:04 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
  1. Click on Vista Start button.Locate the Command Prompt menu item (buried deep inside Accessories under All Programs or appear on program access history). Right click on Command Prompt.
  2. On the pop-up right click context menu, select “Run as Administrator”.
Then for a particular file you can type the following:

takeown /f file_name /d y
icacls file_name /grant administrators:F

For Directories (will perform action recursively):

takeown /f directory_name /r /d y
icacls directory_name /grant administrators:F /t

Now you should be able to delete:

You can also do this in Explorer but takes longer:
  1. In Windows Explorer window, locate the files or folders that you want to take ownership and grant access permissions.
  2. Right click on the file or directory. Click on “Properties” on the right click menu.
  3. Click on “Security” tab.
  4. Click on “Advanced” button at the bottom.In Advanced Security Settings dialog window, click on “Owner” tab.
  5. Here you will be able to see current owner (i.e. TrustedInstaller).To take ownership of the object, click on the Edit button. Give permission to UAC. Then highlight the user name in the “Change owner to” box that you want to assign as the owner for the object. Click “OK” to finish the process. Back in Advanced Security Settings window, you will see the current owner has changed to the user you just selected. Click “OK” button to exit this window. Back in object’s Properties window, click on Edit button, and confirm the UAC elevation request. Highlight the Administrators in the “Group or user names” box. If the user ID or group that you want to manage the permissions for the object doesn’t exist, click on “Add” button, and type in the user name or group name desired into the “Enter object names to select” box, and finish off by clicking on “OK”.
  6. In the Permissions for Administrators box below (or any other user name or group name you chose), click on “Full Control” under the “Allow” column to assign full access rights control permissions to Administrators group.
  7. Click "OK" twice when done
You can do whatever you like to the files or directories processed as above.
Old May 29th, 2007, 02:21 AM

Thanks much for the reply.

I followed your directions and received a message saying Invalid argument/option - 'icacls.'

Just curious....Will this take care of what seems like an ongoing problem with my own computer recognizing me as administrator? Seems like there must be a way to fix this, since I am the only one who uses my computer.
Old May 29th, 2007, 02:46 AM

Sorry for the separate messages. Also just tried doing what you said using Windows Explorer...Whew, a bit confusing, but tried to do exactly as you instructed. Received same denial message when trying to delete file after I completed the steps.