Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old September 1st, 2007, 12:48 PM

1st Factory Restore = problems already!

I got my computer just over 2 weeks ago. A Gateway GT5464.

I tried to recollect all my programs that I had on my previous XP desktop and some incompatible programs ended up making it freakout to the point where I had to re-install windows. Now I have 2 major problems.

I reinstalled Vista and now::

1. Im "missing" GIGS
My HDs supposedly 320 gigs out the box more or less (approx 288 including the recovery drive in actuality) and when I did a factory restore I was under the impression that a FRESH copy of windows would be installed, thus a fresh computer with 288 GIGS. Apparently they make a folder called "windows OLD" with all my old crap on there . .so i delete it

and I still cant account for almost 40 GIGS of "STUFF" that is sitting on my HD I have no idea where it is or what it is. My HD says I have 238 Gigs of free space, this is AFTER i reinstalled Vista and deleted that "windows old" folder.

2. My headphones arent being recognized.
When i plug in the headphones I dont get a message saying they are plugged in anymore, and sound still comes out the speakers. Now when I go to the device manager/volume control and search around it says headphones are working properly, and I can even hear sound out of them when I click "test sound" for the headphones icon.

I'd love any kind of help because I'm not a computer savvy person and I feel as though every action I make on this thing is one step closer to destroying it. Oh dear.