Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old March 7th, 2007, 08:51 PM

Pc Keeps Crashing

Hi new to the place in the search for solutions. I recently installed a new harddrive, no probs there. On it my mate put some xp/vista hybrid system, no probs either. But I still have the same problem i had with old harddrive, in that it just crashes willy nilly. It's very random, sometimes it will go days not crashing then others will be 4 times in a day. I often have to push the graphics card back into it's slot as it works it's way out somehow, tho it's firmly in lately when crashing anyway. What is also weird to me is that my dvd player was unplugged and start up time was ages, as was shut down. When plugging that back in start up was very fast, shut down too, but as it's knackered i want it unplugged so set the bios up to suit, now start up slow again but shut down fast I'm not sure if bios can be set up to sort that..? Thought it was knackered dvd that was crashing pc, also thought it was webcam but unplugging that didnt help.

Could it be a dodgey worn out graphics card or simply just getting too warm? It doesn't seem to make any difference if room is hot or cold though, like no worse or better in boiling summer. Oh ye also 256mb of ram was way too slow which i think was inital cause of crashing, upgraded to 768mb and sped up immensely. Any ideas? Thanks
Old March 8th, 2007, 04:09 PM

Wow what an extremely helpful place!
Old March 8th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
What exactly do you mean by "some xp/vista hybrid system"?
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:04 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Your confusing as hell...probably why no one answered. Anyways I think he means xp/vista dual-boot, I think. And if it happens on both OS then its either the HDD in which case you would probably need to get a new one. Or the power supply possibly not being sufficient at times so it just shuts down.
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:10 PM

It's a system they had out before Vista came out, not sure really, possibly a beta thing, it's defo not that anyway as I know lots of peeps use it without trouble. Hmm power supply though, easily replaced? Thanks for the help.
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:34 PM

If it's one of the beta versions of Vista, they weren't really expected to work without any problems. That's why it was a beta version.

The video card should be held in place with either a screw or a clip, depending on how the machine was constructed. Its working loose repeatedly could have created problem; possibly allowing dust to get in the slot, compromising the contact. It doesn't take much. Take the card out, wipe off the contacts with a soft lint-free cloth, brush, blow or vacuum out the slot and replace the card. If it needs a screw to fasten it in, get one. If there's a clip, make sure it's fully engaged.

If it works better with the faulty DVD drive plugged in, why not leave it plugged in? It won't hurt anything. If that's not an option, first remove it in Device Manager, shut down and then unplug it from the motherboard. If the cable is unplugged from the drive but not from the motherboard, the system will slow things down looking for a drive on the end of the cable. The best solution is just to replace it.
Old March 8th, 2007, 09:14 PM

Ok I'll give that a try, thankyou.
Old March 11th, 2007, 06:33 PM

Hmm plugged dvd back in just kept crashing 5 mins after start up despite start up speeding u alot, have to make do without. Can't discon from motherboard as cable ties in with secondary one for cd rom. Strange
Old March 11th, 2007, 07:11 PM

If the CD drive is the only drive on that cable, is it plugged into the end plug (as opposed to the plug at or near the middle of the cable)? If it's not, try using the end plug for it. If it's jumpered as Slave, change the jumpers to Master (or Cable Select), as well.
Old March 12th, 2007, 12:08 AM

Yes it's already end plug and master lol