Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old April 1st, 2016, 04:53 AM

0x0000006b yet cannot acces drive to remove/replace bootcat.cache

Powerfailure during Win 7 64 boot on a dual partition system.
Right after the Windows wording came up, before the logo swirls.

Hung, so I forced a reboot.

Showed 0x0000006b which means corrupted bootcache.cat. Easy fix, just start using another partition or bootable recoverydisk/usb and delete the bootcache.cat in system32/codeintegrity on the partition showing the error. On a subsequent reboot it will be built again.

Nope.

Problem is I cannot access the boot partition (Win 7 64) to delete or swap this file. I have a secondary partition I can bootup from; D: (Win 7 32) and even a Bootable Win 7 repair USB (Win 32 and 64 versions).

No matter what I do, I cannot write anything to C:

Doing a dir query from an elevated command prompt out of D: or the recovery USB shows:

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

I then tried:

Sfc /scannow

It said it did something, and told me to reboot and run sfc again, I rebooted off the usb drive again but no change.

I then tried

Sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ offwindir=d:windows (remember d: is the primary (problem) partition when booting from USB)

Again it didn't succeed.

I then tried

Chkdsk /f d: (again, remember d: is the primary (in my caseroblem) partition when booting from USB)

It said

The type of the file system is NTFS.
Unable to determine volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted.
Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.

So it IS! reading the file system as NTFS.

I tried bootsect and bootrec. /fixmbr, /fixboot. They say operation completed successfully but no change. Perhaps they are simply overwriting the boot on the bootable USB recovery stick X:

I tried :

X:\>bootrec /rebuildbcd

And got:

Scanning all disks for windows installations

Successfully scanned windows installations

Total identified windows installations:0
The operation completed successfully

Which is weird, since I have a fully working windows 7 32 installation on the secondary partition d:

(When you boot from a bootable usb your drive letters get messed up though, so
C: becomes the usb, d: becomes your original main partition (the bootproblem in my case), f: becomes your actual second partition (usually drive d in windows) and x: is the windows ramdisk

Anyhow, then I tried:

Bcdboot d:\windows

It said:
Failure when attempting to copy boot files

Finally I tried:

Bootsect /nt60 D:

It said:

Target volumes will be updated with BOOTMGR compatible bootcode.

D: <\\?\Volume<3c4ecbb8-f805-19e5-9250-806e6f6e6963>>
Could not open the volume root directory:
The parameter is incorrect
No bootcode was successfully updated

So eventhough it is reading the volume.
I don't know what to do.

When I run the repair windows from the USB stick I get the windows repair GUI. The little table asking me which windows partition I want fixed does show me my two partitions, but it lists C: 0MB D:100gb, when in actuality it is C:800GB D:100GB

But clicking repair gets me no result, I EVEN have full system restore turned on for the partition in question, but obviously it cannot access the partition to locate and restore the saved files!

So when I try to boot the partition in question I just get a 0x000000f code.

I'm thinking of trying testdisk or Easy Recovery Essentials tomorrow, as these programs GUARANTEE they can fix any partition boot problems not caused by hardware, lol.

I'm sure its a software issue, and my aim is to get the 800Gb partition booting again.

Anyone here have any idea I can try?

Lol, if you read this far you must be a diehard like me.

Q9650, 8GB DDR3
C: Windows 7 64, 800gb
D: Windows 7 32, 100gb
Latest drivers for everything,
Superclean system
Acrylic case, kept dust free using monthly blowout
Ccleaner, regular defrag
Have not needed to reformat it since 2009
No added or removed software or hardware before problem occured.

Last edited by Gold333; April 1st, 2016 at 04:56 AM.