Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Gaming

Notices

Gaming Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of PC & Console Gaming issues

Topic Tools
Old April 5th, 2012, 12:21 AM

Connection issues when turning off games?

I have a small home network, just 2 hardlined PC's with Wifi active (encrypted, shared key) for Kindles and phones to access when needed. The strangest thing has been going on since getting my wife Skyrim a few months ago though. I'll be online playing Battlefield 3 and she'll start playing her game (it doesn't seem to matter who was playing first). However, EVERY time she shuts off Skyrim it totally freaks out our internet connection. My ping on BF3 will go from the 50's or 60' to over 600 and the game becomes unplayable. This lasts for about 3-5 mintues before it will stabilize and I'll be fine. I should mentioned that Skyrim is launched through Steam and she is not starting up or shutting down steam each time she plays, she just always leaves Steam on. Can anyone thing of what could be causing this? It's very annoying and I can't seem to figure out what is up with it.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and brainstorming.
Old April 5th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Is Cloud synch enabled in her Steam settings?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steam Cloud synch.jpg (99.0 KB, 2 views)
Old April 6th, 2012, 09:15 AM

I don't know, I'll check. Would putting some data up to the Cloud really jack my connection for over 5 minutes?
Old April 6th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
It was my 1st thought. Up to 50MB UPloading to Steam could do it depending on your connection.
Try manually uploading 50MB of files to an online store (gmail, photobucket etc) from her PC while you play.