Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old September 27th, 2011, 12:57 AM

"Logging off" & "Shutting down" issues

Hi, AnnMarie.

I'm having the same issues and typed in misconfig.exe and enter but it came back no results found. I also did a search in computer with no results as well. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old September 27th, 2011, 01:49 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
In that case I would say your issues are quite different. Have you run a check for viruses on your computer?
Old September 27th, 2011, 02:56 AM

Doing a system scan on your suggestion and with 69% complete it brought this up: C:\Users\Lenovo\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Te m...-Corrupted Executable File.

That's AVG 2011 Free and I bought this laptop about a month ago online second hand.
Old September 27th, 2011, 03:04 AM

Scan is complete, that was the only thing found and AVG moved it to the virus vault.
Old September 28th, 2011, 02:28 AM
CTH Subscriber

NYKrumrie's topic is still active so I have moved your posts to your own thread. It's too difficult trying to help two people in the same topic.

The AVG result is no biggie. The file was in a Temp folder and it might have been a false/positive (mistake) anyway.

Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click on Start and type cmd in the "Search programs and files" box. Cmd.exe will appear at the top of the Menu. Rightclick on it and choose "Run as Administrator". Copy and paste the following command in the Code box after the prompt > and hit Enter.

Code:
dir /s /a "c:\msconfig*.*" > c:\find.txt & start notepad c:\find.txt
Notepad will pop up with some information. Copy and paste it in this thread.
Old September 28th, 2011, 08:04 AM

Hi, I note in your first post Misconfig maybe just a typo, should be msconfig. And I think Anne meant :-

dir /s /a c:\Windows\system32\msconfig*.*> 0 & notepad 0 (same output to notepad just easier).
Old September 28th, 2011, 10:17 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hi jenae, no I would rather the command I posted be used. I want to see all instances of msconfig.exe on the drive and the command doesnt have to be typed, it can be copied and pasted.
Old October 1st, 2011, 05:18 AM

Notepad popped up but is blank.
Old October 1st, 2011, 09:15 PM
CTH Subscriber

Providing you copied and pasted the command correctly, that means that the file is missing and there is no backup copy on your machine.

How long have you had this problem? If it's fairly recent, try running System Restore. To do this, click on Start and type System Restore in the "Search Programs and Files" box. System Restore will appear under Programs on the Start Menu. Rightclick to open and choose "Run as Administrator" and then follow the prompts. Choose a date prior to the issue occurring.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 11:44 PM

That would probably explain the "windows did not shut down properly" and the option to go into safe mode messages which pop up after I have to fold the laptop closed abruptly.

Thank you for your help kind lady.
Old October 4th, 2011, 12:47 AM
CTH Subscriber

You are welcome. If you dont have any Restore Points prior to the issue occurring, try running a Startup Repair from the Recovery Environment.
Old October 4th, 2011, 05:19 AM

If that's the case, will do. Thanks again.
Old October 5th, 2011, 08:24 PM
CTH Subscriber

No problem.