Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:06 PM

"Run as Admin" - Little Help.

Hello

I hope someone can help me with an enfuriating problem I'm having.

There was (and probably still is) a virus on this computer called Windows 7 Secrity 2011 which posed itself as a free virus scanner... whatever. After an eternity of research it seems to have disapeared from my computer -athough I have no idea how I did it. The problem I'm having now is I can't load any application without rightclick and selecting 'run as administrator' and if I just click the icon as normal e.g the Firefox shortcut it will ask me 'what program would I like to open it with?' - is there any way around this? I am the only person who ever uses this computer (apart from my 7 year old son who uses it to play a few games) and since the day I bought it I have never set an admin password or anything like that.

Also, strangley enough, the 'dock' at the top of the screen with all my main shortcuts and a lot of icons in the tray thing in the bottom right corner have done a diseaping act. It's all very strange.

I'm running Win7 Home 64bit

I'm not at all tech-savy so if anyone could advise me how to go on I'd greatly appreciate it.

George
Old May 22nd, 2011, 07:09 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
That is a nasty one and probably did not got rid of it entirely. I am going to have one of our malware removal mods look and see if they can suggest a course of action for you.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 07:15 PM

Don't worry about it. I just did a system restore to how my computer was a week ago and it seems to have got rid of it and sorted the other problems.

Not ideal but it worked for me. It seems a hell of a lot of people have been getting this virus/tojan thing lately and it's a real ***** for people who don't have much computing experience.

Thanks anyway.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 01:57 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Hi George1984, and thanks Murf for the tip.

George1984, be sure you know our CTH Malware Removal Forum here, should future issues occur.

For now though, these more current scamwares also include a type of MBR infecting bootkit, that can survive a System Restore (which is a very good idea to undo the malware, when it allows you to access it). If you would, let's do one extra check there, just to be sure.

The system is Windows 7, so when running any of the scan files we use, be sure to right click the file, then select "Run as administrator" to start the scan/tool. And To make sure you have an accurate view of files there, make sure you can View Hidden Files. Also uncheck "Hide Extensions for Known File Types"

To keep them from interfering with the repairs, be sure to temporarily disable all antivirus/anti-spyware softwares while these steps are being completed. This can usually be done through right clicking the software's Taskbar icons, or accessing each software through Start - Programs. Here are some antivirus disable tips if needed.

----------

Download aswMBR ( 511KB ) to your desktop.
  • Double click the aswMBR.exe icon to run it
  • Click the Scan button to start the scan
  • On completion of the scan, click the save log button, save it to your desktop and post it in your next reply.