Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old February 18th, 2010, 09:43 PM

.EXE files will not run

Yesterday, I suspect that I executed a file I shouldn't have while torrenting some items. After I executed it, everything that had an .exe file attachment will not run. I cannot open any virus programs to see if it's a virus, I can't restore my computer, I can't backup my files and I can't open the command prompt. I think the file I executed changed my registry (I don't know anything about this) making me not able to execute .exe files. I am at a loss of what to do, I know I could redownload my OS but I don't want to resort to that yet because I will lose all my files. Help is very much appreciated.
Edit: I am using Vista Ultimate 64bit.

Last edited by 7dskei; February 18th, 2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old February 18th, 2010, 10:06 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
See if downloading the exe fix helps from here.
Old February 18th, 2010, 10:25 PM

Thank you, it worked! Saved my life. Just another question, should I run a restore (now that I can) to an earlier point, before all this happened, just to be on the safe side?
Old February 18th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
If the problem with exe files was the result of malware (virus, trojan, etc.), the restore points are also infected. Using one or more of them will not improve things and may make things worse.

Have you run a virus scan?
Old February 18th, 2010, 11:34 PM

Yes I ran a scan. Nothing was found with spybot search and destroy, and I also run super antispyware free version with only a couple cookies found.