Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old February 28th, 2009, 04:58 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Exclamation BAD IMAGE error every time i try and open a program or window

every time i try and open a new program or window, a message comes up:

for example when opening firefox

firefox.exe - Bad Image
C:\Windows\System32\ctl3dv232.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact you system administrator or the software vendor for support.

this has been happening for a couple of days now, i started when norton sercurity detected a trojan horse. it seemed to delete it (im not 100% sure) but every since then i have been getting this message. it even appears before the log in screen on vista, and as i turn off my computer.

i read a little bit on the internet and thought that norton could have damaged some of the files on my computer. i downloaded CCleaner to clean the registry integrity, which includes missing dll files, but nothing has changed. my computer came preinstalled with vista, so i dont have a disc to insert and try and restore any damaged files(if thats what happened).

i would greatly appreciate any help as to what is causing this and how to solve it.

- im using vista 32 bit home premium
Old February 28th, 2009, 10:38 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hi arch1tect and welcome. Your operating system is infected. It would be a good idea for you to start a new topic in our Cyber Safety Forum.

I would move the topic but if I do that, it might get overlooked as this topic has been replied to. Just state that you have been advised by me that your operating system is infected and ask what logs you should post. Be patient because they are really busy there but there is a sticky at the top of the forum that you can post to if you have not received a reply after 48 hours.
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:05 AM

if anyone is having this problem visite this thread where i got it fixed http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...d.php?t=194911