Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion > Comments & Suggestions

Notices

Comments & Suggestions Have a comment or suggestion to make about Cyber Tech Help ?

Topic Tools
Old September 20th, 2010, 04:46 PM

why do I get auto logged out if I take to long to post

A lot of times the answers to difficult hardware or software questions take some typing and research. I'm a little peeved that this site chooses to autonmatically log you out after so long. Then, when I finally go to post my answer its either log back in or if I'm not careful I lose all my work.

I can understand having this auto check on warez sites or pirate forums but on a forum designed for helping others it makes no sense. Often to get the right information to the requester you need to do a few paragraphs and even some searching, and the lazy people who just post links to other answers are really no help at all.

When I sign in, I remove the check from the box "remember me" I do this for all forums I visit and this is one of the few that causes me to be logged out automatically. Look into it for me if you would like me to hang around here, otherwise I will be on my way to a more user friendly site. I really hate the auto logout feature and will not tolerate it for long.
Old September 20th, 2010, 06:03 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Why do you uncheck the remember me box? No cookie is saved if you do that and you are logged out automatically as a means of protection, because the forum has no way of knowing that you are the person who logged in.

If you check the remember me box but wish to ensure that another user of your computer does not get automatic login when they come to the site, just click the logout box once your session is finished, the cookie will be deleted.

Now I'm not a mod here nor do I have any firsthand knowledge of how this forum works, so there are a few assumptions, based on my general knowledge of how things work, but I will concede that some of those assumptions may come from the land of the fairy tale. Sorry if I got it wrong.
Old September 21st, 2010, 01:40 AM

The remember me check box is so I can close my browser and as long as the cookie is intact I can come back later as you say so can anyone else using my PC. But unchecking the box and being logged out while I'm still active in the forum would mean the cookie is being checked periodically and its deleted, and that still makes no sense, Unchecking the box does'nt stop the cookie creation, but it would be deleted when I log out, so why am I being logged out while still active? like I say that kind of action is for warez and pirate sites, not legitimate help sites like this one, no one should be logged out at all until they close the site out.

Last edited by Appzalien; September 21st, 2010 at 02:21 AM.
Old September 21st, 2010, 06:00 AM
Malware Removal Team Advisor

Quote:
But unchecking the box and being logged out while I'm still active in the forum
You may think you're active, but the software doesn't. You likely know this and are asking for the timeout period to be reset.

That's for the Site Admkn to decide. But you can work around this by checking the Remeber ME box and then logging out when you leave.

What operating system do you run and which browser are you using? Maybe a script to fix this for you. If you don't know how, I might help. The script runs a separate process, waits for the process to close..
Once it does, the script deletes all Cybertech cookies and exits. So when you want to come here, you use the script and it's automated.
Those are the broad strokes.

Last edited by Mosaic1; September 21st, 2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old September 21st, 2010, 03:39 PM

I belong to many help forums and this is only one of two with this issue, most sites I belong to would keep me signed in for days if I kept the site open, so why not this one? The other with this issue I do not go to anymore, and this site is about to join that small group. I post in the comments and suggestions thread and I get no admin response? thats a bit telling in itself. From some of the responses to requests for help I have seen here (put some cleaning fluid on the brush of the dvd cleaning disk and run it), you can not afford to lose someone who actually knows a few things.

Last edited by Appzalien; September 21st, 2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:36 PM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

O/S: Linux
When you don't check the remember me box your login relies on a session cookie. Whilst that cookie will not reside on your PC it resides on the server to maintain your login state.

The default session cookie timeout on vbulletin software is 900 seconds. Your timeout I would imagine would be refreshed upon page load, so if spending >= 900 seconds on a page without page load will time your session out and therefore log you out.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:43 AM

I could easily spend 15 minutes searching for a solution to someones problem, heck i might go to the kitchen and make tea. Do you really think 900 seconds is an acceptable time limit to respond? I could easily take an hour to find a specific answer to a hardware or system problem for a specific OEM brand of PC. Maybe 3600 would be a more helper friendly wait time. But, since I see no other helpers from the site jumping in, don't go out of your way for me, if you have 900 sec for a reason, so be it.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:04 AM
CTH Subscriber

You've been given a solution, tick the remember me box, and log out after your session if you don't want anyone else using your account. What is so hard about that.

I've been a member here for six years, and not had a problem, you've been here a few days and want the site changed to suit your way of doing things. Why?

BTW how many other people use your computer?
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:19 PM

For your information it doesn't matter if I click in the box or not. I am still logged out after 900 seconds no matter what, whether I'm actively answering a post or changing pages I get logged out and to me thats unacceptable. As far as I'm concerned there is either an error in the boards design or someone goofed setting it up. I can visit 5 boards right now and leave them open in tabs for two hours and go back and I am still signed in, but not here. Why do you think that is, default board design? if so why do you think everyone else changes it?

Last edited by Appzalien; September 22nd, 2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:48 PM
CTH Subscriber

Seems like prayer is your solution.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:54 PM

You may be right, I'll pray for you!
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:35 PM

I seldom log out and when i can come back 2 days later i'm still logged on , and i never click the " remember me" box...
How do you figure that ?
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:46 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Same here mata.
Old September 28th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

O/S: Linux
The remember me box should be ticked by default. So you shouldn't need to explicitly check it.
Old October 11th, 2010, 02:02 PM

I was just gonna say that Mishy!!

Its amazing how many DO NOT KNOW THAT BOX IS THERE!!

I mean: When VBB unchecked it in VB 3.5 i saw all kinds of people start having login issues because they didnt think to check that box.... (A stupid thing VBB did in 3.5)