Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old February 28th, 2008, 01:47 AM

my windows xp has no sound coming out of it

last week my computers sound was working fine and then suddenly it just stopped, i dont get any error messages when i try to play audio, it seems to play it because in WMP the visualizers work as if musi where playing, but i cant hear anything, my pc isnt on mute and the volumes are up and the speakers a re plugged in perfectly. can anyone please help me out on this?
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:36 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Click on start and choose the control panel. Double click the system applet. Click on the hardware tab, and click the device manager button. Is there any yellow warning signs or is the sound card area already expanded.

Also, I know this is dumb, but did you check the little speaker down by the clock? Make sure there is no red circle and slash through it, also double click it and make sure the volume is up. (I have to ask. Sorry)

One more thing is double check the cord from the speakers to the back of the computer and make sure they are plugged in and in the correct hole. You can also plug in a set of headphones to the speaker port and try playing music. If you headphones have sound then your speakers may be bunk.
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
Click on start and choose the control panel. Double click the system applet. Click on the hardware tab, and click the device manager button. Is there any yellow warning signs or is the sound card area already expanded.

Also, I know this is dumb, but did you check the little speaker down by the clock? Make sure there is no red circle and slash through it, also double click it and make sure the volume is up. (I have to ask. Sorry)

One more thing is double check the cord from the speakers to the back of the computer and make sure they are plugged in and in the correct hole. You can also plug in a set of headphones to the speaker port and try playing music. If you headphones have sound then your speakers may be bunk.

nope there arent any yellow signs anywhere on there and the sound card area was not expanded, it says this device is working properly, i updated the driver then restarted my computer and still no sound

yes the volume on the bottom corner is all the way up and no there isnt a red circle through it

and yea i already tried to plug in the speakers in the different holes and still no sound, i tried the headphones too and still no luck
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:00 AM

You can try a system restore back to the last time the speakers worked. Click start>all programs> accessories> system tools> system restore.

Choose to restore my computer to an earlier time, then choose a date that is in bold. Let it do its thing and then it'll reboot. hopefully with sound.
Old February 28th, 2008, 04:14 AM

Quote:
You can try a system restore back to the last time the speakers worked. Click start>all programs> accessories> system tools> system restore.

Choose to restore my computer to an earlier time, then choose a date that is in bold. Let it do its thing and then it'll reboot. hopefully with sound.
ive always though about doing that, what will happen? will the files that ive added since my sound stopped working disappear? or is any system info lost while doing this?
Old February 29th, 2008, 06:37 AM

ok so i tried system restore to the last time my sound was working and i get an error message saying it couldnt be completed no changes had been made since that date, then i tried a week before and it still didnt work, so i dont wanna go back any further, and theres still no sound
Old February 29th, 2008, 06:11 PM

Hmmm, now that tells me something is wrong. Anyway... Is this integrated audio (built into the motherboard) If so, enter the bios during a reboot and make sure it didn't get shut off somehow.
Old March 1st, 2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, now that tells me something is wrong. Anyway... Is this integrated audio (built into the motherboard) If so, enter the bios during a reboot and make sure it didn't get shut off somehow.

i think it is integrated into the motherboard but im not sure, is there any way to find out? also, will buying a new sound card solve the problem?
Old March 1st, 2008, 05:34 PM

It will be easier to show you. Click the link:
http://www.overclockeddoc.com/bookwo...0io%20slot.JPG

Look at the back of this tower.

If you have integrated sound your speakers will plug into the IO plate as labeled in the picture.

If you have a sound card, your speakers will plug into ports down in the expansion slots.

A sound card would most likely solve your problem. Generally, decent sound cards sound better than integrated audio, and save CPU cycles as well. Which makes your computer run a little quicker.
Old March 1st, 2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
It will be easier to show you. Click the link:
http://www.overclockeddoc.com/bookwo...0io%20slot.JPG

Look at the back of this tower.

If you have integrated sound your speakers will plug into the IO plate as labeled in the picture.

If you have a sound card, your speakers will plug into ports down in the expansion slots.

A sound card would most likely solve your problem. Generally, decent sound cards sound better than integrated audio, and save CPU cycles as well. Which makes your computer run a little quicker.

ok i understand, i do have integrated audio, now how do i find out the bios during reboot?
Old March 2nd, 2008, 07:18 AM

how do i find out the bios during a reboot? anyone please help
Old March 2nd, 2008, 08:47 PM

nevermind i got my sound working again, what i did is opened up the pc and noticed it was hella busty in there so i took it outside, and blew all the dust out with a air compressor and that fixed it lol, thanks for the anyways