Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:09 AM

Problem after attempting to install Windows XP

Hey guys,

I started to reinstall XP on my home PC today, to replace Vista. I let the setup run, and started formatting my HD. Well, I had to go to class, and upon returning, I found that my PC will not do anything.

After turning it off and trying to start it up, I get no signal to the monitor, and the CD drive tries to spin up, takes about a 30 second break, tries again. All the lights on the front of my case are lit up, and all fans are spinning in the case.

Also, when I tried to eject the XP disc, I had to wait until it was trying to spin up and press the button on the disc drive, otherwise it would not work. Even then, the tray would usually only eject partially and immediately go back into the drive.

Any help getting this thing back to running would be fantastic, even if just to install Ubuntu or XP again.
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:28 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Was there a power outtage or anything while you were out. I'm having trouble understanding why it was working when you left and is in this condition when you return.

Was there anything on the screen when you returned home?

It should've been still in setup waiting for you.
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:34 AM

No, no power outages.

There was nothing on screen when I returned home. The light on the monitor shows that it has no signal. And that is what the PC keeps going to as soon as I start it up. I tried changing memory from slot to slot, and that did nothing. Also tried removing power to the cd rom drive, and that did nothing either.
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:49 AM

Okay, update: my wife tells me that yes, the power did go off today. This would have definitely been during the time that Windows was installing. So, where to from here?
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:56 AM

Well, since you have no video...

Let's start there. Open up the case and listen very carefully, is there any hard drive activity going on at all?

Also do you have built in video or is it a video card?
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:57 AM

Nickscott, I apologize, but I'm going to be leaving for the rest of the night. I won't be back until tomorrow morning sometime. hopefully someone will pick it up from here. If not... I'll be here tomorrow to continue.
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:58 AM

Yes, it sounds like my hard drive spins up, and the video card fan is spinning as well.
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:01 AM

Do you have access to another video card you can try?
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:04 AM

No, this is the only one that I have.
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:11 AM

Okay, new update. I moved the memory to yet another slot, and I have video now. I am able to boot into Windows setup once again, so I will let you know any more updates. Thank you for your quick help, Billy Bob!

Alright, now my my main hard drive is not being located. This is the drive that I was installing XP Home on, my 500 GB SATA. Any suggestions?

Last edited by nickscott01; February 28th, 2008 at 03:19 AM.