Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:05 PM

Unhappy Windows wont boot after power outage.

About 2 months agoe we had a power outage and when i got home from work my computer would not boot up. I tryed booting into safe mode but it would either just restart or when it got to the desktop just restart. Then i did a fresh install of windows and that did nothing now i cant even get to the desktop it just stops at mup.sys in safe mode and restarts right away. Also when i tryed to install windows almost every second file would not copy and sometimes i would get an irql not less or equel error. so i popped my harddrive into another computer to install windows. I have been running knoppix now for about 2 months that is what im useing to post this. so i dont know what would be wrong cpu, ram, power supply, motherboard i have no idea plzzz help!!
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:30 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
So your hard drive is now in another computer running knoppix? And your other computer is sitting with no hard drive in it?

Is this correct?
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:44 PM

nope im running knoppix on the broken computer with the windows hard drive in it. thats why im so puzzeled why it wont run windows
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:55 PM

Ok, so you're running knoppix from the cd drive. Gotcha.

Windows blue screens on bootup or sticks at the mup.sys. That's usually a driver issue. One thing to try is go into the bios and shut off most of the integrated hardware. Serial and Parallel ports, USB (provided your not using a usb keyboard or mouse) built in sound, network card. Everything except the stuff you need. If it still won't go try loading the safe defaults in the bios.
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:04 AM

I am not clear on your setup, are you running a LiveCd of Knoppix or did you put the hard drive back in the "broken" computer and have Knoppix installed on the hard drive?
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:12 AM

im running a livecd version and i tryed disabeling all onboard and used safe defaults and it still dose the same thing
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:21 AM

Does knoppix utilize all your hardware ok? Video, network card etc???
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:22 AM

yup and im useing all onboard stuff video and lan works no prob i have no idea whats on the go
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:29 AM

Also, have you tried doing a surface scan of your hard drive? try booting to the xp setup disc and choose to repair using the recovery console and type in chkdsk /P
just to make sure your Hard drive isn't failing.

Also, have you tried removing and swapping ram? It could be flaky memory that is ok with linux.
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:30 AM

Was this a clean reinstall of windows? with a good old fashioned format, or did you try the in place upgrade?
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Also when i tryed to install windows almost every second file would not copy and sometimes i would get an irql not less or equel error. so i popped my harddrive into another computer to install windows
Well, unless that other computer was nearly identical to yours that wouldn't work. The difference in drivers would cause the lockups and blue screens.

The not copying sounds like either Hard disk problems (which is probably not the case if it worked in the other computer)

The CD Drive may be flaky and not reading the cd well (which is probably not the case since your running linux)

But the biggest and easiest thing to do would be change the ribbon cable. I've seen that happen a zillion times. It will make you scratch your head for hours and make you feel silly.
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:51 AM

yup tryed swapping and moving around the ram no good ill have to pick up some new ribbons and give that a try
Old February 28th, 2008, 01:55 AM

Well, you've covered most of the bases. Let me know how the ribbons work.