Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old February 2nd, 2002, 05:31 PM

Connection or not.

Hello all. I'm new here so please forgive my failures and this being a long post.

I have looked back several pages and have not found any related solutions to my little problem.

The problem.
I open my browser, IE but it doesn't help if I use Nav, and the connection window opens. The modem dial and establishes a "connection". It is rare, 1 in 50, that it doesn't connect.

The browser then tries to find the home page. At one time, about 3 weeks ago, this page would be found and displayed in good fashion every time. Over the last 3 weeks this has become less of a sure thing. Two days ago it was a complete no go. I could "connect", generally around 28.8 but with high variability. 16- 42k or so.

What has been tried.
I have harried the kind folks at Mindspring tech support and they have messed with setting again and again. Dial up networking and Network have been worked over in great detail including TCP/IP properties and DNS config, WINS config, IP address, etc. No joy after many hours.

I have replaced my modem, patch cords and OS CD for 5 formated replacements of WIN98. I have reinstalled the modem at least a dozen times and at least 8 or 9 times it tested with win diagnostics as good. I even had BellSouth come out and check the line and talked the man into replacing my drop, underground, even though it was well within spec. Still no joy and I don't think any of the above is the problem. Note- it seems to be an all or nothing thing. Once the connection is made it is either live or dead. if dead no amount of refreshing clicking or praying helps. Changing from EI to Navigator doesn't help.

Last tech call, by chat during one of the few live connections, they suggested adding under modem extra settings s32=98. This seems to have helped but still 1/2 the time I end up with a dead connection and unable to find the server. Its not good.

What I want if you would be so kind.
Any explination as to what is going on and what I can do about it. What is this S32=98? What does it do? Are there other codes that can be tried? Is there a reference available? I have spent about 30 hours working on this problem with 2+ hours on the phone to my ISPs support. They are kind and patient but htey have pretty much depleted thier quiver or ideas. They adamantly claim that it could not be thier servers. Anyone have any ideas, thoughts, abuse laughter, snickering?

Thank-you in advance for any help, humor or insight you may contribute. I like the site.
Old February 2nd, 2002, 08:01 PM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

I haven't used dial-up in many years, and have forgotten too much in that time

I do remember using this site to change init. strings. Usually helped a lot.