Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old December 9th, 2011, 03:48 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Smile Low disk space on Data (D:)

Hi all, my son has given me an MSi U135DX, he only had it for a few months and has upgraded. I have deleted all of his files, music, videos etc from the notebook but i keep getting a message saying Low Disk Space - running out of disk space on Data (D Click here to see if you can free up space.

I am baffled as I know there isn't very much on there at all.

Details are as below - hope someone can help me please.....

CPU Atom, N455, RAM DDRIII 1GB, HDD, 250 GB
Windows 7 Home Premium - Service pack 1
32 bit Opersating system

Thanks Lots
Old December 9th, 2011, 05:16 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Right click on "My Computer" then go to "Manage". Left pane click on "Disk Management"

Right pane will show your drive(s), total capacity and free space. Normally Windows is installed on the "C" drive. What does it show you for your drives??
Old December 9th, 2011, 06:19 PM

Hi again Murf - think you have helped me before Thank you and i hope i have done this right.

Data (D Simple, Basic, NTFS, Healthy (Primary partition) Capacity 89.11GB Free space 15MB

OS_Install (C Simple, Basic, NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) 133.67 GB 100.29 Free space

Below this
Disk 0 Basic 232.88 GB online - 10.00 GB Healthy (recovery Partition)
Old December 11th, 2011, 06:53 PM

The "D" drive is being used for DATA, Programs ect. So since you removed/deleted they could still be in the "Recycling Bin". The Recycling Bin on your desktop is for the "C" drive.

So right click the Start Button, then go to Explorer. Scroll down to the "D" drive in the left pane and find "Recycling Bin". Right click and empty.
Old December 16th, 2011, 12:41 PM

Hi Murf, thanks a lot but i tried that but no luck - its still saying full and bright red?
Old December 16th, 2011, 07:25 PM

On the "D" drive do you have a folder maybe called $Recycle.bin? Expand it does it then have a folder called Recycle Bin? This is the one you right click on and Empty.

Also right click on the "D" drive and go to "Properties" in the window go to the TAB called "Quota" the button "Show Quota Settings" is Disk quotas disabled?