Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old February 7th, 2011, 04:39 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Vista wont recognizes older WD External hard drive

Hello great Wizards, I have an older 250 gig My Book external hard drive with very important info on it.. 99% of the time Vista doesn't recognize the drive. Once and while I do see it when I click on "Computer" with all the other drives. Currently I can not get it to show up at all. The weird part is it shows up in the "Safely remove hardware pane" and the Control Panel-Device Manager-hard drives. When you rt click on Computer-manage-Disk management it shows "Disk 2 unknown -not initialized" ?? I have tried the following:

Reboot several times
Plugged AC wire directly into wall
Changes USB wires
Used different ports
Used fire wire
Used different computer (with Vista)

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Carrera

Last edited by carrera6060; February 7th, 2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old February 8th, 2011, 12:17 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
test

test
Old February 8th, 2011, 03:33 AM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Look under the help section on your vista computer and search format. This will instruct you how to open the folder that shows all of the hd's. It should show up in there. Where was the external used before?
Old February 8th, 2011, 05:33 AM
CTH Subscriber

carrera, just use your thread in the hardware forum. I'll ask that this one is closed.
Closed Topic