Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old September 21st, 2010, 04:35 PM
CTH Subscriber

Downloading and Installing Windows 98 Drivers

I have been given the task by a friend to wipe clean and reinstall windows 98 on his old laptop. (Dont ask why!!)
Its a Compaq Notebook 100. it had windows 98 on it so I wiped the hard drive clean, reformated it and installed 98 from an old disc I had saved.
It loaded fine but there are drivers missing, ie sound , graphics and a couple of others.
I went on Compaq website downloaded the drivers, put them on a disc and the laptop didnt find the disc. My pc has Vista so I presume it wasnt compatible with it so then I did it again on a PC with XP on and this time the disc was found on the laptop but the 2 files were write protected.

What can I do? the laptop has no ethernet port just a dial up modem on it so I cant connect to internet, would I be better to install ME or even XP on it or is it just too old?

Any advice would be gratefully received.... (even throw it out of the window!!!)

Cheers

Andypat
Old September 23rd, 2010, 12:06 PM
CTH Subscriber

Update:

I have managed to get the graphics driver in from downloading off a drivers site but wherever I get the sound driver from its allways write protected, either from compaq/hp or driver sites its the same.

Is there a way to get past this write protection?

Cheers

Andypat
Old October 4th, 2010, 03:58 PM

Write protection? They are preventing you from downloading them? What drivers are you trying to get? Can you post the link to the page? We can give it a try. It could be a problem with the page itself, but I like to try. If the page shows the name/type of drivers, we may be able to find them on other sites.
Old October 5th, 2010, 03:26 PM
CTH Subscriber

Thanks for reply

I found the graphics driver and managed to get that on but struggled with the sound, when downloading the one from Compaq it just wouldnt open on the laptop. I then used Aida32 to tell me the insides and what came up wasnt what the specs were saying so I downloaded that particular driver ( Specs said Soundblaster compatible which was in Windows 98 and it was AC97) and the sound worked but only from one side but it could have been a hardware problem that.

I gave him the laptop back with no problems on Device Manager and he's not come back to me yet so I dont know if it was ok - but I tried to get things on it like a wireless internet adapter but it would install and then not open.
Perhaps it was just too old (Know how it feels!!!)

Cheers

Andypat
Old October 11th, 2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypat
I have been given the task by a friend to wipe clean and reinstall windows 98 on his old laptop. (Dont ask why!!)
Dont worry bud,we dont have to ask why......

We know why: HE REALISES WIN98/98SE IS A VERY GOOD OS

Im glad ya got things going again for him!!