Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old September 18th, 2010, 03:37 PM

Do I need all of Framework?

This may be a stupid question but I just don't know. After Windows updates I look and see .net framework, 1, 2, 3, 3.5. and 4. Do I need them all or can I delete any? They take up a lot of space. Thanks
Old September 18th, 2010, 04:12 PM

They're not necessary system files, but they are required for some applications to run. Dot Net is actually a programming language of sorts, so that games and programs written either entirely or in part with dot net need the specific version for the language they used. In otherwords a program written in dot net 1.1 needs at least that version to run, and I don't think you can just install 3.5 and it covers the other versions, it doesn't work that way.
So literally you could run a machine with no dot net at all, and wait for an installation to complain, install it itself, or not run at all before you start adding them. But I bet within a few months you end up with them all. I wish MS would treat these like SPs where they are all inclusive, maybe this is one of their ways to ruin XP and force updates. XP is still the most popular OS and a lot of people (me) are not buying into WIN7 (I actually hate it when I have to deal with someones PC with 7 on it, it really sucks).
Old September 18th, 2010, 04:21 PM

Thanks a lot for the explanation. This is actually my laptop with XP. I have a desktop with 7 that was upgraded from vista. I prefer XP over vista and 7. It was just more user friendly and everything seems to work without a problem. Vista and 7 do have more features though. I personally think XP is the best windows os Microsoft ever made.
Old September 18th, 2010, 05:46 PM

OH, its real purddy and all with its aero and fancy do dads, and people who only surf the net and stay on the desktop all their lives wouldn't mind it, but I dig into the OS, and 7 is designed to prevent you from accessing it like you could with XP. It seems everything they do is meant to make it less "Power User" friendly and more "Moron User" proof. At least it should have a moron button during install so you could turn it off. I also hate the Windows Explorer left side tree that slides around on its own, how dare they second guess what I'm about to do, its intrusive to me and should be an option not default. The default should be XP2.