Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:09 AM

No Audio Device, Please Help

Hello, I have a computer that had a bunch of viruses on it and all that fun stuff so I decided to wipe it out and re-install Microsoft XP Pro. It installed all fine and everything works just great except for the Audio. It wont play audio at all, and when I go to sound options in the control panel it gives me the lovely grayed out text that makes it so you cant do anything. I have searched all around the internet and have seen this happens often but I have not found the solution yet. I'm not entirely sure of which audio card I have, I know it has one since it played audio before I wiped it out. I think it is a legacy? if that is a brand name at all. I assume it is a driver but I dont even know how to fix that even. I have a Dell Dimension 3100. Any ideas?
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:27 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Howdy and welcome to CTH:

If you check the make and model tag on the back of the tower (or bootom of the laptop), you will see something called a "Service Tag".

Go to the Dell website and copy that tag in the appropriate area and let Dell give you all the drivers you need for your system.

Just download the audio driver and install it.

Murray