Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old January 19th, 2009, 07:29 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
re-installing updates after WinXP re-install

Hello, everybody.
I had to do a clean re-install of WinXP sp2. I was a little naive (okay, stupid!) about just how many updates Windows had done in the past, and how to reinstall them. Because I do frequent backups, I have all the KBxxxxxx folders in my backup drive, but how do I get them re-installed in Windows now?

I'm on a dial-up connection, so downloading them all again would probably take until I die of old age. Besides, Microsoft seems to want me to install SP3 instead of the individual updates.

Thanks for any help.
Old January 19th, 2009, 10:58 PM

Quote.. Microsoft seems to want me to install SP3 instead of the individual updates.

That's because SP3 contains most of the updates that came out before it was released.

What do you have your update backups on & how did you make the backup?
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1che View Post
Quote.. Microsoft seems to want me to install SP3 instead of the individual updates.

That's because SP3 contains most of the updates that came out before it was released.

What do you have your update backups on & how did you make the backup?
They're on an external hard drive. I do my backups with AISBackup, which creates zip files. I'm able to look through the backed up files and folders, find the ones I want, and pull the folders containing the KB files onto the desktop or wherever I want them to be.
When I did the backups, I wasn't backing up the updates specifically, just the entire partition where Windows resides.
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:23 PM

I've never used AISBackup. So I can't help you with that but the backup programs I have used you use that program to restore the files. May be some else will come along that can help..
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:28 PM

Restoring the files isn't the problem. As I said, I can put them anywhere I want them to be. But it doesn't seem like just copying the files from the backup into the active Windows folder will make the updates active.