Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old July 12th, 2008, 05:52 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
XP Home Service Pack 2 Won't install

The title says it all. I downloaded the http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/d...displaylang=en

there, but about halfway through the install, it gives me a simple error message: Access is denied

and then tells me that Service Pack 2 installation did not complete. Windows XP has been partially updated and may not work properly.

I am the admin and the only person who uses my computer. Furthermore, I just reformatted my HDD, so there isn't anything installed on it yet. I would appreciate ANY help in this issue.
Old July 12th, 2008, 08:30 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Reboot into safe mode..then log on as admin..that should give you access to whatever you need..I believe you have to pound the f4 key in order to get to safe mode
Old July 14th, 2008, 05:03 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Wow, that was weird. I did what you said, and it still gave me the "access is denied" error. I believe I also left out a little bit of info from the beginning post. When I installed, I used a slipstream cd I created by downloading that SP2 from the link up there and joining it with my original Windows cd. I've installed with this cd successfully many times before, but during the install, it gave me the errors that these files could not be copied:

cimwin32.dl
cimwin32.mf
framedyn.dl
msdtctm.dl
msdtctm.dll
getuname.dl
rdpwsx.dl
wordpad.ex
mswrd6.wp
msnsusii.ex
msncli.ex
msnmsgs.ms
ideograf.uc
sound36.wa
custat.dl
avtapi.dl
bckgres.dl
msdaora.dl
oledb32.dl
dao360.dl
msoe.dl
conf.ex
nmwhiteb.ch
srsvc.dl
pchdt_p3.ca
moviemk.ex
moviemk.ch
wmm2res.dl
wuaueng.dl
wuauengl.dl
flash.oc
msgr3en.dl
courtney.ac
autumn.jp
bliss.jp
beetho9.wm
HelpHost.ex
mouse.gi or .ji (I couldn't discern which)
qmark.ac
title.wm
mouse_k.ht
wmpaud4.wa
viz.wm
sv-262e4.pn
lgc291.pn
rover.ac

I still have the slipstream disk and I can even see and copy over those files except that windows doesn't recognize .dl and .ac etc, etc. Because of some of the files that are missing, I cannot use the Help and Support Center and I also can't use System Restore.

Last edited by alienexterminat; July 14th, 2008 at 05:14 AM.
Old May 31st, 2010, 06:15 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
NOt sure if you still have this problem. But, maybe you could try getting windows to load last good config??