Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Notices

Windows 8 Problem solving for the Windows 8 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old May 10th, 2014, 03:41 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Tanks Manger

Okay, don't know if I have a problem or not, but today, I noticed that after I start up my computer and open task manager that Disk shows at 100% and the numbers don't seem to match up, but then after say five minutes it drops down to 0%-20%. And then it does the same thing after I wake the computer up from sleep. Is this normal? I've never really noticed it before and just want to be sure I have nothing screwy going on. Thanks
Old May 10th, 2014, 05:36 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
This can be caused by the computer "Indexing" the drive, which can use up a lot while it is doing it.

Windows will index certain portions of your drives in the background during idle time, primarily e-mail and the files in your Windows-default library areas (Documents, and the like)

If you get to Control Panel "Indexing Options", click the "advance button" you can control what Windows indexes. Clicking on File Types tab you will see what is being indexed.

For each file type, you can designate to index the file’s properties alone, or both the properties and the actual content. That’s important—check your most frequently searched file types to ensure that the actual content is being indexed

You can also designate which drives and folders are being indexed. Hit the Modify button, and you can specify which locations Windows 7/8 should index; make sure the ones where you’ll often conduct searches are designated. You can also tell the system to ignore certain huge drives or folders you know you’ll never need to search.

You can turn off indexing;

1. Open the Control Panel, select "System and Security"
2 In the pop-up window, select "Administrative Tools"
3 In the Administrative Tools window, select "Services"
4 In the Services window, select "Windows Search Service" to disable it and set to disabled

This can also be caused by programs that start with Windows run in the background. To see what is being loaded at startup and running in the background;

On your desktop hold down the Windows Logo key and press "R"
In the open box type in msconfig then click on OK

If no logo key then;

Control Panel> Administrative Tools>System Configuration

In the msconfig window click on the Startup TAB

IF WINDOWS 8.1 then use the Task Manager (Startup) tab

All items checked are programs that start with Windows and run in the background. Most do not need to start with Windows, as if you uncheck hit "Apply" you will stop it, you will not remove the program as msconfig shows shortcuts to programs.

Anti-Virus and any unique to the name brand computer should be allowed to start, things like Adobe, Quicktime;

A good DATABASE for most Startup programs found HERE
Old May 10th, 2014, 06:22 PM

Should I go ahead and turn off indexing? It doesn't seem to be causing a problem, I just wanted to make sure there isn't a problem going on that I should be concerned about. I don't have too many programs running at startup. Really only wants needed like my anti virus.
Old May 11th, 2014, 12:24 AM

Indexing really does help and can speed performance up. In Task manager can you see what is using the drive a lot before it settles down? A computer coming out of hibernation and or sleep will take time as it is writing or searching to see where it is. Mostly normal, but if it takes a long time then something is causing it. Which Anti-Virus are you using?
Old May 11th, 2014, 12:28 AM

I'm using Avast. It doesn't seem to take too long of a time for everything to settle down when I kept a close eye on it. It seemed to windows related services, but every a couple of minutes it settles down and everything was back down.
Old May 11th, 2014, 01:30 AM

Avast is a good anti-virus but Windows 8 has a very good one built in that includes Malware protection..

Windows Defender and if your using Avast, make sure Windows Defender is turned off as it can conflict.

Start screen and type "Windows Defender" to have Windows search for the program, then click on the Windows Defender icon when it appears in the results. A Windows Defender window will appear on the classic desktop. If Microsoft's security software is disabled, you'll seen a lot of scary red tones alongside an "At risk" warning and an image of a computer screen with a big X on it. Subtle, eh?