Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old May 27th, 2007, 10:30 AM

Computer Freezes/No End Task Manager

This computer is a number of years old, and bought second-hand! However, it is only in the last few weeks that my husband reported it was running very slowly and was freezing up and he couldn't get the End Task Manager to run. He was shutting down at the electricit power switch. I have tried deleting several files and downloading programs to help, but not much success. I downloaded Uniblue SpeedUpMyPC (unregistered so far) it reported 10078 Temp Files; 24 Other Junk Files, 19 Dump Files and 9 Backup Files as Problems and Errors - but said I would have to purchase the software to solve the problems.
My question is - is this a good program. Will it solve the Freezing up and slow running of the Computer or is there something critical wrong with it?
Old May 27th, 2007, 10:34 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
you do not need to purchase any software to clean your system. You can use ccleaner from ccleaner.com and its free and safe.

Give it a try and let us know if it helps.
Old May 27th, 2007, 11:31 AM

Did u install anything in the last few weeks? I recently tried installing mcafee and it slowed my comp right down, i know Norton will do the same thing so im shying away from the 'security suites' and sticking to free programs.

U can always press ctrl+alt+delete and see whats using memory or cpu in the 'processes' tab.

If it hasnt been cleaned out for a while i'd certainly suggest running cclean (great free proggy). Maybe even run a defrag.

A system restore to a time when the comp was fine might be an option.
Old May 27th, 2007, 11:57 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan82 View Post
U can always press ctrl+alt+delete and see whats using memory or cpu in the 'processes' tab.
They said they can't get to the Task manager. So that can't work.

In addition to above info, try running spyware / virus scans etc. Spybot search and destroy, Adaware are a couple of good programs to use. Spyware is well known for slowing your computer right down.

If you have alot of problems, You may need to end up posting a HJT log into the Cyber safety forum to have them help clear up any threats on your PC.
Old May 27th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Computer Freezes/No End Task Manager

Computer: HP Pavilion f1.50.uk
2.66Ghz
512MB
80GB Hard Disk
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX tm - 440

Windows XP Home Edition
Zone Alarm (Free Edition)
Spybot Search and Destroy loaded and checked regularly - no problems reported.

I tried to report back after loading and running ccleaner, but computer Froze. Obtained Task Manager -it locked up too - showing a whole list of processes running.

Downloaded No adaware and scanned system - it reported:-
1 item in Registry - severe
1 Cookie - not critical
3 Files -2 dangerous and 1 severe.

How with a Firewall?

Can I clear these problems up?
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:02 PM
CTH Subscriber

Bothered, I don't believe your problem is hardware related. What you have is malware/adware and probably a virus or two. What you need to do now is go to the link below, read what it says and do what it says. After you finish, and have created a hijackthis log, post that log here and I will then move your thread to our CyberSafety forum.

Please read before posting Hijack This logs/Hijack This Tutorial
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:48 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
A Firewall will not block everything. Even with the best, You will still get something here and there, and if you don't scan regularly it will all bottle up.