Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > MacOS

Notices

MacOS Problem solving for all MacOS versions

Topic Tools
Old July 26th, 2019, 07:25 PM

Question Flash Drive Help on Mac mini?

Hi there-
I recently restored factory settings on my Mac mini. I saved some docs and photos to a flash drive. I can view these items and copy them from the flash drive to my documents folder on the Mac, but they are read-only. Any way to fix this? I really need to be able to edit & use a couple of these docs.
Thanks very much in advance!
~pk
p.s. I should note that the file system of the flash drive is listed as MS-DOS (FAT32)
Old August 9th, 2019, 05:15 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: MacOS
If they are read only after you've copied them to a local drive, merely highlight the files in the Finder and choose "Get Info" from the Finder > File menu.

At the bottom of the Get Info Window, look at the "Sharing and Permissions" section. Make certain your user account has "Read & Write" privileges.

You may also want to boot to the recovery partition of your HDD and repair permissions using Disc Utility.

The FAT32 formatting shouldn't make a difference. FAT32 merely means both the MacOS and Windows can read the flash drive. For Mac-only use, a HFSF+ format is often better. Most Flash drives come off the shelf formatted for FAT32. I tend to reformat all new Flash Drives to HFSF+ when I get them, but I don't even have any need for Windows to read my flash drives.