Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old February 16th, 2021, 01:58 AM

Constant internet loss but not tv signal

Sorry for the length. Hope someone can help me.The layout for our internet, and a tv, is a long cable from the pole to the house, then from the side, entire length of the house, enters the other side. From there, it goes into a splitter, one to the tv, and another 30 ft of cable to the router and a phone jack for two lines. We have not had problems for years but suddenly the internet goes down, sometimes for a minute, sometimes longer. I work from home so it is imperative that I have continual connection. Cannot talk to a good tech person at C/X. So I took the router to their store, and it was replaced by their xFi. No change, same problem. May be the splitter, so I researched and bought a new splitter. No change, same problem. I learned that the signal degrades the longer the cable, which is the length of the house. So when it is really in/out, I direct connect to the cable from the ceiling. Slight improvement but still in/out. Now I am thinking I should try a cable amplifier. This is where I am totally confused. When I search the words amplifier or booster, the other also shows up. Or it shows a product amplifier then the description talks about how it is a better booster. What annoys me the most is I am trying to have steady internet, but a lot of product descriptions discuss the improved quality of the tv and barely address the internet. The price ranges are extreme. From $27 to $600. Please can someone guide me to info or suggest what to look for? Or if you have any other suggestions? The real slap in the face is that while the internet is down, the cable tv works fine. Comforting to know when I lose my job of 5 years, I can watch tv without a problem.
Old February 16th, 2021, 11:57 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Since the phones share the same length of wire past the splitter, try disconnecting one phone. If that changes nothing, disconnect both phones.
I had a problem with what turned out to be a faulty wireless phone in a similar setup and taking it out of the mix solved my internet disconnect problem. I ended up replacing the phone.
Old February 19th, 2021, 05:47 PM

The phones and the phone lines are not plugged in since I moved the router to where the cable comes in from the ceiling. If the connection is ok, just occasional interruption, I leave on the splitter so I don't have to reconnect to watch tv. If the interruptions are constant, I direct connect to the cable from the ceiling, no splitter, no tv. Does give a slight improvement over leaving on the splitter. What is annoying, which is why I am thinking of an amplifier, if the router is on the splitter, but shows I am not internet connected, I can watch cable tv and have never had picture interruption unless it is a company issue.