Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old August 5th, 2008, 01:43 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Having a little trouble with the new ubuntu 8.04 release

First off im a total noob to linux, never messed with it before in my life. I have searched the cth threads for a bit and im running out of time my schedule is pretty busy, getting ready for drill this week with the National Gaurd, anyhow, I am getting an error.

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

I have done some searching on google too but since I dont know what exactly im searching for I just typed in the error and it didnt produce any nice results so I figured id come ask the guys at cth, and drop in and say hi since im not around to much anymore.
Old August 6th, 2008, 06:42 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Hello,

I saw this error last year after a team member shut of a computer while Ubuntu was updating.

Did you stop an update or package installation (apt-get install or dpkg -i foo.deb, for example) by pressing Ctrl-C or by shutting off the computer? Or, did an installation fail (disk full or another error message)? You generally should avoid doing this, since it can lead to errors like this one.

Open a Terminal and type:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
as the error recommends and when that is done, type this and press Enter:
sudo apt-get -f install
to finish any pending installations.

If this doesn't work, please post the error(s).
Old August 6th, 2008, 04:48 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Ah yes, the first portion was all that was needed, sudo dpkg --configure -a I had tried that a couple of times only without the sudo part. But I didnt shut the system down while installing anything, I did however mess with different bits of code I had found online and I am thinking something I did with that is what led me to this problem, but I greatly appreciate the help, thank you Pi rules.