Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:55 PM

Motherboard exchange

Not sure if this can be done but here goes. I have swapped a dead motherboard with a new one with the same chipset on different occations with success. I have also swapped different motherboards with different chipsets with little success and had to reinstall Windows again. This is my question I have a Sis chipset and since the motherboard is not made anymore I am installing a very similiar board but with a Via chipset. I am not wanting to have to reinstall the O/S again just the drivers, how can I do this??? I was thinking I can set the Sis harddrive up as a slave drive on my main system so I can access the files. From there I was wondering is there some place I can go to deleate the Sis drivers so once i load the new Via board it will load the Generic Windows Xp drivers till I install the Via disk. I hope this is not to confussing and thanks in advance for any help on this matter.
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:58 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hmm good question... Why not unistall all drivers before you reboot..? When asked to reboot say no untill all drivers are gone and use the below utlity to make sure you wipe em out

http://www.drivercleaner.net/professional.php
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:39 PM

Thanks for the reply. The problem is the SiS motherboard will not post so I can not boot it up to uninstall the drivers that is why i was wondering if I get the SIS hard drive up and into the windows folder or anyway else to deleate the old drivers to get the new once installed.....
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:43 PM

Or I was wondering can I use drivercleaner or another program that I can install on my main computer and hook up the SIS harddrive and point to that drive and have a program uninstall the drivers on that drive. Will this program do that or another maybe?
Old September 20th, 2006, 06:12 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
You can always just put the hard drive in and if it works then yay,
but if it doesnt then do a windows repair with the xp disc by booting to your windows xp disc, press enter to install windows , when it detects your old windows installation on that hard drive press 'r' to repair the windows xpp installation (this deletes all windows xp files and installs them again, and you don't lose any fo your data). NOTE: Don't go into the recovery console at the start!
Old September 20th, 2006, 09:42 AM

Ok thanks I will try that and see if it will work in my case....