Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old October 5th, 2008, 01:55 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Windows media player probs!

Hi,

I am in the process of sorting a friends computer out with the aid of this website and the relevant people as it got badly infected etc. Whilst this all happened and now I am getting problems with being able to run windows media player + also the help and support section (accessed from the start menu), basically when i click on either of these nothing at all happens.

Please can you help me sort these problems out?

Thanks, JIO22.
Old October 5th, 2008, 02:01 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
what os and what version of media player???
Old October 7th, 2008, 05:27 PM

os is windows xp, not sure what version of media player it is, it was the one which came installed on the computer. Is there a way I can find out how to see what version it is?

Also, I did not mention this in the first post but I am also having problems with being able to access certain things on various websites i.e getting into email accounts, loggging into other accounts and various other things. Also on facebook it always says that the javascript is disabled on your browser, I think this could be the problem. I have tried various things such as making sure active scripting is enabled in the internet options section etc, etc. Can you help me with this, I have posted this question in the relevant section for internet + browsing but have not had a reply as yet so is it possible you can help?

Thanks.

Last edited by JIO22; October 7th, 2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old October 8th, 2008, 06:03 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
As for Help & Support, try here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startmenuhelp.htm

As for WMP, will VLC Player work: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ ?

As for internet, what browser, and version?
Old October 8th, 2008, 07:49 PM

Thanks for your reply, I tried the start menu fix but this did not make any difference it will still not work? I am not sure on what it means by "NOTE: If Windows is installed in a different path, edit the REG file in Notepad and change the App Paths value accordingly", so I am not sure if this is right or not? Any Ideas?

I could not try the videolan link as I am having problems with downloading at the moment due to some other issues on this computer which is in the process of being repaired, can you help in any other way + to help get windows media player back working.

The Internet browser/version is : Internet Explorer 7.

Many Thanks.
Old October 8th, 2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I am not sure on what it means by "NOTE: If Windows is installed in a different path, edit the REG file in Notepad and change the App Paths value accordingly", so I am not sure if this is right or not?
If you didn't make any changes to your Windows installation, don't worry about it.

What Happens, when you go Start>Run, paste this:
%Windir%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe
and click OK?

Close IE.
Go Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools, and click on Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
Can you download VLC Player now?

What are the other computer issues?
Old October 10th, 2008, 04:12 PM

Hi, I copied and pasted the above in the run box, nothing happened after I done this? All the functions/probs are the same.

The other computer issues at the moment is I am going through with the help of morfaess to sort out a lot of infections/viruses etc, the downlaod of VLC may work but I don't know if downloading stuff will help or hinder the other things/scans/results that I'm doing at the moment, so I am trying not to download stuff at the mo, is there a way I can get windows media player back working? or is this only way? Also if I was to download VLC what country icon do I select to do it from?

Any more ideas on solving these probs : Help + support/Javascript prob + windows media player?

Thanks for your help, JIO22.
Old October 10th, 2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
at the moment is I am going through with the help of morfaess to sort out a lot of infections/viruses etc
You need to finish the above process, first.
Old October 12th, 2008, 12:51 PM

Ok, I will get these probs sorted first, I will post back again once finished.

Thanks for your help so far, JIO22.
Old November 10th, 2008, 10:23 PM

Hi,

Just a quick post to mention that the above problems have now been fixed, thankyou for your responses.

JIO22.